Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Web Browser] Google Chrome 64-bits is now available

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:10 AM

Hey guys,

I just thought that I would post a small thread about it since there's still a lot of people that don't know about it, but Google Chrome now have an official 64-bits version that I suggest you to install if you're running Windows 64-bits. Chrome takes a lot of resources right off the bat due to the way it works: separate sandboxed processes for each opened tab, extension and plug-in. However under Windows 64-bits, when you run a 32-bits process, that process is being emulated in a VM which takes more resources than if it was run natively on 64-bits. This being said, if you download and install Google Chrome 64-bits on a 64-bits version of Windows, it'll take much less resources in the end than if you were using the standard Google Chrome which is 32-bits.

To download Google Chrome 64-bits, simply go on the Google Chrome download page here:

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/desktop/

Then click on the Download Chrome for another platform and under Download for another desktop OS, select Windows 8/7 64-bit. The installation procedure is the exact same as the standard Google Chrome.

When you think that your system is using a lot of RAM (and CPU, but less) and that you have between 4 and 6GB of RAM, check if you're using Google Chrome 32-bits first. If you are, uninstall it and install the 64-bits version, it helps in a lot of case. This tip applies pretty much to every programs too, if you have the choice between installing the 32 or 64-bits version of a program on your Windows 64-bits, always pick the 64-bits version for better performance and less resources usage.

That's it, enjoy! :)

Edit: I know that I wrote in the thread title that it was "now available", and I know that it has been available for a while but a lot of people still don't know about it, hence the choice of words.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:38 AM

Also a side note: You can directly install Chrome x64 on top of Chrome x86 - so you won't lose anything.

I just did that myself :)

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:47 AM

That's good to know thanks Alex! Because there can be a really annoying bug with Google Chrome where you try to install a new version of it and it says that a newer version was detected on the system so it won't install. Despite the fact that Google Chrome was uninstalled prior to that.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users