Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Essentials for XP ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,271 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:36 AM

will MS essentials work on windows xp?

i have AVG on a windows xp machine but its hogging too much memory and slows the machine down too much, im looking for a free simple basic program like MSE to install that will not bother the users too much and will not take up so much memory,

if MSE will not work, any other recommendations?

Edited by hamluis, 04 February 2015 - 10:43 AM.
Moved from XP to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:55 AM

Hi there mikey11,

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) will work with Windows XP, but only on 32-bit installations.

But please note that Microsoft will cease support for MSE on XP in July 2015. After that date you will no longer be protected if you continue to use MSE with Windows XP.

Do you wish to use a free or paid option?

Regards,
Alex

Edited by Alexstrasza, 01 February 2015 - 09:56 AM.

#3 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,271 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:13 AM

thanks, i would prefer a free one

i like MS essentials because its simple and doesn't bother the users with popups and crap

Edited by mikey11, 01 February 2015 - 10:14 AM.

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:00 PM

If you wish to use a free solution, my recommendations are Avast! or Avira.

However, both of these AVs have a twist - Avast will require you to register every year with your email, as well as nags you to upgrade. Avira comes with a toolbar that you need to install in order for the AV to work properly.

Lastly, my recommendation - please upgrade to Windows Vista, 7 or 8 if you can.

Regards,
Alex

Edited by Alexstrasza, 01 February 2015 - 12:21 PM.

#5 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,271 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:39 PM

If you wish to use a free solution, my recommendations are Avast! or Avira.

However, both of these AVs have a twist - Avast will require you to register every year with your email, as well as nags you to upgrade. Avira comes with a toolbar that you need to install in order for the AV to work properly.

Lastly, my recommendation - please upgrade to Windows Vista, 7 or 8 if you can.

Regards,
Alex

i would like to upgrade to 7 but not sure the computer can handle it,

if we assume for a min the computer CAN handle it, i would most likely buy a new drive and install 7 on it, that is no problem,

how would i copy all files and programs over to the new drive?....im concerned about the programs i use because i dont have all the install disks anymore, like microsoft office as an example

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:56 PM

Hi mikey11,

You can download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor here. It will give you information on whether your system is capable of running Windows 7 or not.

Regards,
Alex

#7 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,271 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:37 PM

i tried loading MS essentials 32 bit on xp and it came up with an error, cant load on the current operating system,

i help seniors out with their computers a lot and this is one of them, thats why im looking for a simple anti virus program that does not bother the user with pop ups and things that will just confuse them,

i want something simple that runs in the background by itself and doesn't require any attention by the user (like MS essentials)

thinking about trying 360 internet security.....any opinions?

Edited by mikey11, 02 February 2015 - 12:48 PM.

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:11 PM

Hi mikey,

I am not very familiar with Qihoo 360 Internet Security myself (being a long-term Kaspersky user, recently switched to Emsisoft) so I am afraid that I cannot help you with that.

I have some concerns about Qihoo however - due to Web of Trust reviews and some opinions by former users that I know.

Whether you wish to use the product or not, the choice is up to you.

Regards,
Alex

#9 UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:21 PM

qihoo.com is I believe in Chinese. This probably explains WOT reports about the page from English speaking visitors of the site. There are only 5 votes there.

I am using 360 Total Security on 2 PCs here at home after using strictly avast for 8 years. I rate 360 TS slightly ahead of avast, mainly because of the built in features for online buying and for anti-keylogging (in the free edition). Also, 360 TS uses 4 sets of definitions, including the BitDefender and Avira definitions, the BitDefender defs being well known as outstanding.

Before making the change, I wanted to be sure that Qihoo was serious about reaching western/english speaking PC users with 360 TS. I began to research, and I became interested in the connection between Qihoo and Amazon, and that's when I ran into this page at Amazon:

http://aws.amazon.com/solutions/case-studies/qihoo-360/

Apparently, Qihoo is using Amazon's servers to handle updates to the definitions and to the program. After watching the video, it seemed to me that Qihoo is serious about reaching westerners with 360 TS. Honestly, I feel more confident with the relationship between Qihoo and Amazon than I do with some of Microsoft's relationships with such as Akamai Technologies and Mark Monitor.

Overall, using 360 TS for me was an issue of being confident that Qihoo could be trusted. It's a good program, and it's going to get even better, so that is a positive long term. It's light on resources, which is a big plus, too.

One thing. For anyone thinking of switching to 360 TS, the Avira and BitDefender definition engines must be enabled in the program's Virus Scan tab. Near the bottom, there are small icons, and two of them are almost invisible. These represent the Avira and BitDefender engines.  To start them, hover over each blank icon and then click to flip the switch that pops up for each.  The definitions will immediately begin to download.

Edited by UpgradeMe, 02 February 2015 - 05:25 PM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:28 PM

Qihoo is a Chinese-based provider of free security and Anti-virus software (360 Total Security, 360 Internet Security, 360 Browser, 360 Security, 360 Mobile Safe, 360 Vault, etc). There has been a lot of controversy surrounding Qihoo to include it's reporting other anti-virus software and search tools as being malicious, deceptive marketing practices and various privacy issues.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:32 PM

These Anti-Virus Software Products Will Continue to Protect XP after the End of Support

...The best news where this issue is concerned comes from the manufacturers of security software: with security suites continuing to provide updates for their software on XP systems after 8th April for at least one year or even longer depending on the manufacturer in question. Some companies have even promised to keep providing updates for two years and others have yet to plan any deadline whatsoever for the end of support. At the end of this article, you will find a list of all of the statements made by manufacturers of security software with regard to this matter that we have compiled for your information...

Forced to use Windows XP past April? 10 ways to make the best of a bad situation

...those XP users left out there are wondering what they can possibly do to mitigate their risks as much as possible. The best course of action without a doubt is moving to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, but if you can't or won't make such a bold move, then here's the best of what's left on your plate of options.

#1: Ditch the Free AV - Get a Paid Solution

Webroot SecureAnywhere will support XP until 2019...it has Identity Shield & Web Shield to protect online banking, shopping and block bad web sites so it is a good choice.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users