Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which hard drive enclosure ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Fredblogs55

Fredblogs55

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:27 AM

I have tried to get my pictures off my computer (as it wont work) but to no avail,so i thought i would put my hard drive into an external enclosure to read on another computer,but the enclosure i have does not fit 😔 i have searched to find which one but cant 😔 i have a hp g60.can anyone please help ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:10 AM

Something like the one linked below will work for 2.5" hdd.

Rosewill Armer RX100-PU3-25B USB 3.0, 2.5" SATA I/II, 9.5mm up to 1 TB External HDD Enclosure with white LED indicator, 100% screw less - Newegg.com

If it is the hdd that you have determined is the problem and not some other hardware problem, then you have the option to use a free Live Linux DVD or Flash Drive to

recover the files. Below is a link telling you how to do that using Ubuntu Live but any Live Linux CD, DVD or Flash Drive will work.

Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:56 AM

Or you could buy a HDD docking station, will mount all drives via USB. Might be handy in the future.

#4 Fredblogs55

Fredblogs55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:52 PM

Hello bc advisor

Thank you for your reply,i am sorry to seem dim but why will this one work and not the enclosure i have ? There is nothing wrong with my hard drive it just seems the easiest way to transfer my photo's onto another computer ?

Hello bleepeirzer

Thank you for your reply,the link you have put up just goes to Google home page :(

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:36 PM

You said that the enclosure you had was not compatible...the hdd didn't fit...that's all I had to go on. From a brief search your computer is a laptop.

Laptops use a smaller hdd than desktops. So, recommended an enclosure for the smaller size...2.5".

If the hdd that you want to transfer pictures from is bootable, then why not just transfer the pics either to a flash drive or DVD and then to the other computer? 

Depending on volume of pics, you can even use email to do that.

More info on exactly what you are attempting and problems encountered is always helpful to get the best suggestions.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:53 AM

Fredblogs55

I use this Enclosure but I'm using it without the casing.  I use it mainly for Cloning the Laptop and Imaging.

The SATA Connector (blue arrow in image) is the same with standard-connector 2.5 and 3.5 SATA HDD's so you can use it interchangeably to transfer files/folders or Backup activities with Laptop's or Desktop PC's.

I like the Docking Sta design as TsVk! mentioned.  I'd get one of those if I hadn't already bought a couple of Enclosures the last couple of years.

289lgrc.jpg

#7 Fredblogs55

Fredblogs55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:43 PM

Hello again

Buddy215 Thank you again for your reply,i have tried copying my pictures onto a disc or pendrive but my laptop will not recognise there is anything plugged in :(... the hdd that i already have i have added a picture for you to see properly.

Scoop8 Thank you again for your reply,what do i search on the internet(cant be paying a lot)cant manage to purchase a docking station.

I have never done this before so i will only need the device once.

http://bolthely.hu/legszerx/id/49307_ENCLOSURE_2_5%22_IDE_KULSO_MEREVLEMEZ_HDD_WINCHESTER_HAZ_TOK_USB_aluminium_3ev_GARANCIA_termek_adatainak_modositasa

it is the small picture in the middle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users