Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I connect a Vista to Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Fixing1

Fixing1

• Members
  • 350 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:06 AM

Hi all! it's been a while and I hope that I could get some assistance. I'm trying to set up an ethernet connection between my Windows 8.1 and my Vista computer for file sharring. I have been trying to find stuff on-line with little luck. Can anyone Help please? :) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:11 PM

Hi,

What sort of a network configuration are you considering? What pieces of hardware will be included?

I've never tried it but using a crossover cable you might be able to connect from network port to network port and get two-way communications.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:03 PM

According to this article you can connect two ethernet devices directly together using a cross-over cable. If you can't find one it even gives exact instructions on how to make one !

http://www.incentre.net/ethernet-wiring-diag.html

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Fixing1

Fixing1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 350 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:08 AM

I connected my vista to my XP to file share no problem I just can't remember what I did to make that happen

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:23 AM

Glad to hear all is well

We'll be here when you need us. Til then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick

Dick E

#6 Fixing1

Fixing1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 350 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:14 PM

No I haven't fixed the problem yet :( does anyone know how I could do a peer to peer connection between Windows 8.1 and Vista?

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:03 PM

I don't think they are peers. You may need something like a router between hem to mediate the differences

[just a guess on my part]

Dick

Dick E

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:45 PM

I believe there are at least two ways to do. One is the use of a cross-over ethernet cable as I outlined in #3 above.

The other is to set up an ad hoc network. This is a network of two computers which talk to each other over wi-fi. I would start with the Vista machine. Open 'control panel' then 'Network and sharing centre'. Then click create 'New network'. When the wizard starts choose 'Ad hoc connection' and follow it from there. Both machines have to have working wi-fi units fitted, either on-board or wi-fi dongles.

As Dicke has pointed out, if you have a router it is much simpler to set up. Simply make sure both are speaking to the router then use the Network wizard to create a new network. Again, start with the Vista machine and it should generate a password for joining the network. You then need to copy and paste this password into the network / workgroup on the 8.1 machine.Then you need to specify what files and folders can be accessed on each machine.

If you have a lot of data you wish to  move between them, several hundred megabytes and up, you will be much quicker connecting by ethernet than wi-fi.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 04 February 2015 - 06:47 PM.
Correction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users