Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another 8.1 lock up thread

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ranger81

ranger81

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 10:20 PM

One year old Gateway dx 4380 was working fine up until about a month ago. About tow or three minutes after start up the monitor will go black, keyboard and mouse unresponsive, led on. Unable to restart without manual shut off with physical button. I unplugged it a couple times and plugging it back in it restarts with out touching the button. A restore seemed to help for about a week but then back to same old freeze.

It won't complete a refresh or reset because it won't stay on long enough. It won't boot from a usb under advanced start. During restart pressing f11 or f9 has no result or any other "f"  button for that matter. I had an urge to thow it out my second floor window the other night but I suppose that doesn't really help anything!

It has Norton and Malwarebytes so I'm making the naive conclusion it's free of bad stuff...........Had to stop for a swig of beer. Sorry about that! If the sleep or hibernation settings were set wrong would they interrupt a refresh or reset? Ideas?

Using computers is a continuing learning curve. :blink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:06 AM

"I unplugged it a couple times and plugging it back in it restarts with out touching the button"

Is the button stuck down sometimes?

"It won't complete a refresh or reset because it won't stay on long enough"

Overheating? Observe the temperatures with Speccy https://www.piriform.com/speccy

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:51 AM

What LED is staying on?

Do the fans quit running when this happens?

Overheating is one possibility.  Open the case and look inside to see if there is buildup of dust, especially in the fan on the motherboard.  If there is an accumulation of dust use of a Duster, (often incorrectly referred to as canned air), and blow out the heatsink and fan on the motherboard.  This is mounted on the CPU.  You do not want to remove the heatsink and fan assembly, if you do you will need to reapply the thermal compound between the CPU and the heatsink.

Caution.  Before you touch anything inside the case be sure that the computer is unplugged.  You need to touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity, a static discharge can kill some electronic components.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 ranger81

ranger81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:42 PM

haircut- the button seems to work normally. Finger pressure seems normal and no unusual noise coming from it. It won't stay on long enough yet to download anything.

dc3- yes the fan stays on during a "lock up." The inside of the case looked clean but I blew it out anyway.

I don't think heat is the issue. The case is cold and it has been off for over twelve hours. One thing I noticed in my last pass through the hard drive page is the factory back up image is gone. The last start up it was in the middle of a system reset. One of the options was a reset from the back up image. It couldn't find the back up image nor would it boot from a USB of that image and then, boom, locked up.

#5 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:33 PM

I reckon it's overheating due to a broken connection to a heat sink. it is therefore very quickly overheating.

How that was fixed previously with a system restore I surmise that it was not quite broken then.

Try to test you hardware by booting to a Linux CD. I don't think you'll be able to as it will overheat.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:46 PM

I reckon it's overheating due to a broken connection to a heat sink. it is therefore very quickly overheating.

There hasn't been anything posted mentioning a "broken heatsink".  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:50 PM

I really mean a disconnection between a chip and a heat sink. I called it a broken connection as a shorthand.

#8 ranger81

ranger81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:54 PM

So if it's a broken heat sink would the fins be loose enough for movement if I gently tried to wiggle them? A simultanious post........

Edited by ranger81, 01 February 2015 - 05:56 PM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:55 PM

The heatsink should be firmly attached to the PCU socket.  It should not move around.

#10 shanepearce

shanepearce

• Banned
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:55 PM

this may be a power supply problem
http://www.wikihow.com/Diagnose-and-Replace-a-Failed-PC-Power-Supply
Look at when your computer boots up. Noticeable changes in how long it takes for your computer to boot up and shutdown, as well as spontaneous rebooting, could be a sign that something is wrong.

Observe any computer failures. If there are system startup failures or lockups, memory errors, HDD file system corruption or USB power issues, this is often directly related to your power supply.

#11 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:13 PM

It occurs to me that if you can't change settings in the 'BIOS' due to the machine shutting down then you won't be able to change the BIOS in order to boot to Linux. (Linux requires 'Legacy boot' enabled in the BIOS).

If you have a Windows disk, can you boot to it? How long before the computer shuts down, or the screen goes blank?

Edited by HairCut, 01 February 2015 - 06:19 PM.

#12 ranger81

ranger81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:34 PM

this may be a power supply problem
http://www.wikihow.com/Diagnose-and-Replace-a-Failed-PC-Power-Supply
Look at when your computer boots up. Noticeable changes in how long it takes for your computer to boot up and shutdown, as well as spontaneous rebooting, could be a sign that something is wrong.

Observe any computer failures. If there are system startup failures or lockups, memory errors, HDD file system corruption or USB power issues, this is often directly related to your power supply.

P7240140-1.jpg

This was my last power supply replacement. lol. It wasn't pretty but it worked for quite a while. If this is a power supple problem then the fan wouldn't run during one of the events like it does.

#13 indubitably55

indubitably55

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:05 PM

Hey everybody! I'm thinkin'old school here...memory...the system is multi-media all the way,so it needs and wants lotsa memory...maybe more than it has? If you can, try to set the pagefile size to three times the physical (an old gamer's trick to boost graphics) Or could be bad memory modules...or video card? Just alittle food for thought...indubitably55

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users