Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Skype - built-in applications (games) - GONE!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:26 PM

Hello.

I'm using the latest Microsoft Skype application.

...so that I wonder, why did they removed Skype Chess and all the other games, that were built-in until Microsoft buyed this product?

I remember myself playing the Skype Chess online with my friends 2 years ago; now, there's no such option anywhere at the menu.

Seems, they should get it back someday somehow?

Please, if it's not hard for you, email their tech support about this issue. I couldn't find the button.

Many thanks!

Skype support:
https://support.skype.com/ru/

Edit: Topic moved from Windows XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:57 AM

Hey, is it someone to answer here?

.....it's important for me, I would play the Skype Chess with my friends already today (but it seems it'll be tomorrow).

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:56 AM

From what I can see online, it appears that "Skype games" were removed around version 5.5. A lot of people are complaining about it but it's not really something we have the power to change here, sorry. Apparently, now you have to download them as "applications" manually and install them through Skype, like explained here:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120224212609AA0dJEg

However, the old games you used to play on it (like Chess) might not be available in that store.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:38 PM

They have removed Chess from Microsoft Skype - that is just RIDICULOUS!

The Yahoo! Games Portal, too, have REMOVED online Chess, that we were playing with friends... they are just idiots on that! ...I'm not censuring my words!

Edited by rhino1366, 02 February 2015 - 12:38 PM.

#5 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:39 PM

.....what do you have to say on it?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:45 PM

I don't really mind since I wasn't playing these games. Also, including games with applications are like early-mid 2000s, now it's outdated. They probably realized that not a lot of people were using these features anymore and that there's way more, better ways to play games online with friends without using some add-on on a program.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:25 AM

If there's a Chess for Facebook, what is the point of removing chess from Microsoft Skype? ...these small add-ons, games, are fun and quick to use when bored out of chat.

Yahoo! and its messenger will always keep the chess, I'm sure of it.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:13 AM

It's because Facebook Games are online, they do not take space on your system and doesn't have to be installed. While for Skype Games, they were bundled with it, so it was included in the Skype installation on a local system. Personally I don't see any big deal with that too. There's many websites where you can play chess online against people and invite your friends so why not use them?

unite_blue.png

#9 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:54 PM

Hi there rhino :)

If there's a Chess for Facebook, what is the point of removing chess from Microsoft Skype? ...these small add-ons, games, are fun and quick to use when bored out of chat.

Yahoo! and its messenger will always keep the chess, I'm sure of it.

Microsoft made a wise decision separating the game into standalone apps instead of keeping it bundled with Skype - a lot of people not needing them will just view them as nuisances. Personally I am glad that Microsoft removed the games bundled with Skype - my Skype is for communication, not entertainment.

If I want to game, Steam and Facebook (yes, I play a Facebook game) are my venues. Facebook games have one major advantage over Skype games - you just need a browser and Flash, and you're all set to go.

For everything else, Aura has covered all I have to say :)

Regards,
Alex

#10 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:58 AM

.....my Skype is for communication, not entertainment.

not entertainment? mhmm.

how to put someone's name at the quote?

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:00 PM

If you quote them directly you'll have their name in it. Otherwise you need to format the quote BBCode tag. Usually what I do is that I quote someone and delete what I don't need to include in it.

And yes Skype isn't really meant for entertainment, more communications. MSN was kind of an ... Exception I would say.

unite_blue.png

#12 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:59 AM

Cutting out the entertainment has no sence. Are we out of GB'es?

#13 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:49 AM

To most people they have no use for Skype games - there are other better gaming platforms out there.

Alex

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:54 AM

To most people they have no use for Skype games - there are other better gaming platforms out there.

Alex

Not a chance that Skype was ever a gaming platform too :P

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users