Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toolbar Uninstaller ver1 - never completes its job

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:42 PM

Gents, Ladies, if Toolbar Uninstaller ver 1.[whatever follows] was not recommended by you here, advise and I'll "cancel" this thread. After right-clicking on its icon, it gives a small board, clicking scan or update, it thinks about commencing to embark to begin to get started in downloading checkie[??]. I give up on it after awhile, and try its 2nd board, clicking rescan gives me two empty side by side "windows" of nothingness in either one. I have installed three times, removed it three times. Should it only be in Windows Safe Mode? If it is recommended by you nice folks, advise, I'll reinstall and give you a much clearer, cleaner description of what's going on.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:14 PM

Same applies to Toolbar Uninstaller as I commented in your other topic.

..it is really not much better than the avast! Browser Cleanup Tool. I find them both useless in most cases.

Further...it is now almost 5 years old since this version was released and I don't believe it is supported by the developer any longer.

Note:You are seeing this page because the Author does not have a website most likely because:

They abandoned or no longer support this program
They went out of business
They never had an official website

Bad Author Link
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:28 PM

You know that there's a lot of other tools way more efficient than Toolbar Uninstaller that exists to remove toolbars right? One being the standard Program Control Panel in Windows since toolbars are really obvious to spot and uninstall. If it fails to uninstall properly, force them with Revo Uninstaller. And if it still doesn't work, removal tools that aims for toolbars such as AdwCleaner and JRT can be used. Remember, its always best practice to uninstall a toolbar (or any other unwanted program) first before removing it with an automated tool. Reason being that their uninstaller are most of the time actually working and most of them will uninstall them self without putting up much of a fight. I prefer a clean uninstall of a toolbar to a forceful removal with an automated tool.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:33 PM

My reply from the other topic.

That's why it is better to use specialized tools.... only after removing anything you can from Programs and Features (Add/Remove) if listed.

In most cases, using the uninstaller of the software not only removes it more effectively, but it also restores many changed configuration settings.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:36 PM

Nice completion quietman :) This stands for pretty much every programs, from toolbars to plain adwares. What can happen sometimes is that the uninstall executable file and the folder where its located won't be deleted but you can delete these manually or use an automated removal tool to sweep up after. I'm wondering if toolbars still even have a purpose now with web browsers supporting web extensions, allowing you to change the default search provider, etc. Toolbars are so early and mid 2000s :P

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:51 PM

One characteristic of junkware is that they insert themselves (components) into various areas throughout a computer's operation system to include browsers, hidden folders and windows registry. None of these toolbar removers/uninstallers have ever been really effective at finding and removing everything. That's why AdwCleaner and JRT were created.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:24 PM

Gents, thanks for confirming again what I suspected -- and good riddance to Toolbar Uninstaller and one more such "utility."  I'ill remember to follow youse guys' advice as given above in the future.  I forget from time to time to try CTL-PNL Programs first.

Edited by RolandJS, 31 January 2015 - 09:25 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:27 PM

The first thing I do on every computer I check-up for malware removal is to check the installed programs and uninstall the junk and outdated ones. You have no idea how much it affects the cleaning process after that, makes it way easier :wink:

And no problem!

unite_blue.png

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:59 PM

Then if you need them, bookmark these download links...AdwCleaner and JRT (Junkware Removal Tool).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users