Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD also on 64-bit Windows 7.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
203 replies to this topic

#1 millie87248p79

millie87248p79

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:18 PM

Hi.

I am a newbie and this is my first post on here. :-)

I need some help please.

I get the BSOD a couple of times a day everyday at the moment. I've scanned using all my anti virus/trojan programs and they all say there is no virus on my laptop.

I managed to take note quickly of part of what he blue screen writing said before it disappeared and then restarted my laptop.

It said 'Collecting information for a crash dump'. And 'Bad pool header'.

I've downloaded the 'Blue Screen View' file this afternoon and have run it like they suggest you to do so experts can check the log for the fault.

I've saved the log result and attached it here for anyone to look and help me please.

I don't really understand reading logs, but i can read that it says on the log report : Caused By Driver  : ntoskrnl.exe.  Crash Address 'ntoskrnl.exe+76e80'

But i don't know if that's all it is and how i would go about fixing it.

Thanks.

BeckyAttached File  BSOD.txt   6.13KB   21 downloads

Edited by millie87248p79, 31 January 2015 - 03:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:47 AM

Hi millie :)

I'll need you to attach your BSOD minidumps so I can take a look at them.

Inxv2xa.pngBSOD Minidumps
Follow the instructions below to get and upload your BSOD minidumps so I can analyze them:
  • Create a new folder on your Desktop called dumps;
  • Go in your C:\windows\minidump folder, copy every files inside then paste them in your dumps folder;
  • Right-click on the dumps folder, select Send to then Compressed (zipped) folder;
  • Attach the compressed folder (archive) to your next reply and post it;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 millie87248p79

millie87248p79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:54 PM

Hi Aura. Thanks for replying back. I've done what you've said and have attached the dump zip file in with this message.

Becky :-)

Attached Files

Edited by millie87248p79, 02 February 2015 - 12:54 PM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:58 PM

The BSODs were caused by a driver called kltdi.sys that crashed the avp.exe process. These are related to a Kaspersky product. Do you have any Kasperky product installed on your system? Also, follow the instructions below please.

3Al62Pm.pngList Installed Programs
  • Download MiniToolBox and move it to your Desktop;
  • Execute it by double-clicking on it;
  • Check the "List Installed Programs" checkbox;
    dE2KOUZ.png
  • Click on the Go button;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open.
    wRKHMXW.png
  • Copy/paste (select the Notepad, press Ctrl + A then Ctrl + C to copy, and Ctrl + V to paste) the content of the output log in your next reply;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 millie87248p79

millie87248p79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:05 PM

I just copied and pasted the results into a new notepad page, hope that works okay with you reading it.

Yes i have Kaspersky Internet Security installed on my laptop.

Attached Files

Edited by millie87248p79, 02 February 2015 - 01:13 PM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:23 PM

warning.gifiObit Software Warning!
I noticed that you have programs from iObit installed on your system. iObit have been accused in the past from using shady techniques in order to promote and enhance their products, one of which was to steal Malwarebytes' definition database to include it in their "Antimalware", iObit Malware Fighter. On top of that, their main product, Advanced SystemCare, goes into the "PC Booster" category of program, which are useless programs that are useless since there's no proofs or facts that these actually boost the performance of a system, and are borderline "scamware". In fact, these programs have a tendency to cause a variety of issues under Windows, that can be solved by uninstalling the software, ironic isn't it? Therefore, I strongly suggest you to uninstall every iObit program you have installed on your system before we continue. You are free to reinstall them after I'm done assisting you if you wish to ignore my warning above.

Relevant articles:warning.gifDriver Updater Warning!
I see that you're using a "Driver Updater" program, which can be harmful for your system and is totally useless. I'll explain you how it works under Windows when it comes to drivers, other people might disagree with me, but over the time, I've experienced with so many drivers related issues and these programs that it becames an obvious big no in my head. Think of drivers as "middleman" between the hardware and the software. They are what the software use to communicate with the hardware and vice-versa. When you update your your drivers (except for the GPU ones), you do not really increase their performance at all. You cannot boost an hardware component level over the level it has been conceived on (when you overclock a CPU or a GPU, or even your RAM, the capabilities of overclocking are present on the hardware, just not enabled), so even if you update your drivers, you won't get any real "boost" of performance on your system. When a driver update is released, it's mainly to address a bug or an issue in the precedent driver version. If you didn't encounter a single issue with your current drivers, then you have no need to update them to their latest version. This is because the bug present on these drivers might only affect a certain brand of computer, laptop, when it works with a specific software, service, I/O interaction, etc. In other words, I could relate it to a pretty common expression "Why change it (or upgrade it) if it still works perfectly fine?". Then comes what we call the "Driver Updaters". You'll notice that under Windows, and many other OS, a lot of people create software that tries to tell you that you "need" something. You need something more that you don't have. And this is exactly the case of Driver Updater software. They try to tell you that if you keep all your drivers up to date, your system will run faster and always be performant. And if you understood my explanation above, you'll see that it's not true, hence this is "false advertising". The goal of these software are to make you download them, since they are either paid by the download they have, or they bundle other applications and programs in their installers (which we call foistware). The author of the program is paid by these foistware maker to include their program in his program installer. Therefore, you end up installing one product that contained 3 or 4 others and just "bloated" down your system. Also, most of them will ask you to "pay" in order to unlock more benefits or better updates, which is totally false. Drivers updates are totally free from your hardware manufacturer website or your computer/laptop manufacturer website. And this brings anothing point, we don't know where these programs downloads their drivers from. Are they really downloading the drivers they say they download and install? Are they really downloading them from the manufacturer's website? Who knows. There's been some tests that have been done by other reputable websites, like HowToGeek, who tested these Driver Update programs. On a fresh installation of Windows, with the most updated drivers from the manufacturer, the program would report that tons of drivers were outdated and needed to be updated. How is it possible? It's not, it's just inventing that in order to push you to use the software and ultimately buy it. In a whole, you could say these software as a big scam. The same goes for "PC Boosters", "PC Optimizers", "Registry Cleaners" (which are dangerous to use by the way), etc. It looks like I have a total hate of these programs and I'll be honest, I do. But I'm not hating for no reason on them, I'm hating on them because I know them, I know how they "work", I know that they don't work like they say and overall, I know that they cause way more issues than they solve. Therefore, I strongly suggest you to uninstall any "Driver Updater" program you currently have installed, for the well-being of your system.

Please uninstall the following programs:
  • 360Amigo System Speedup Free;
  • Advanced SystemCare 8;
  • Driver Booster 2.1;
  • IObit Malware Fighter;
  • IObit Uninstaller;
  • Java 7 Update 72;
  • Smart Defrag 3;
  • Surfing Protection;
  • Wise Care 365 3.43;
  • Wise Memory Optimizer 3.33;
  • Wise System Monitor 1.29;
I suggest you to stay away from all these "PC Booster" programs since all they do is create issues, on the top that they are totally useless and not needed at all under Windows. Are you using Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 or Kaspersky Internet Security 2015?

unite_blue.png

#7 millie87248p79

millie87248p79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:57 PM

Hi Aura.

I have done all what you have said, and have unistalled everything you mentioned. I will take your advice and stay clear of PC Boosters. I read all your long text and found it interesting. I haven't read the attachment articles yet, but i will have a look.

Should i say away from Java as well? I've heard it can be not so good to use.

Are you saying that all registery cleaners are ineffective, and you shouldn't use them? Or are some of them useful to have and use.

If so which ones would you recommend to use.

I am using Kaspersky Internet Security 2014.

I shall do a restart now.

Is that all i need to do now Aura?

Regards,

Becky

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:04 PM

You should stay way from Java if you don't use it. If you use websites that uses it, or use programs that needs Java, like Netbeans, Minecraft, etc. then keep it installed. Otherwise, there's no reason to have it installed and you'll be more at risk with it. Every Registry Cleaners are useless and dangerous and you should stay away from them. CCleaner for example is one of the best temp files cleaner there is, but it also have a Registry Cleaner feature. I recommend you to stay away from that feature and only use the main temp file cleaner feature instead. As for Kaspersky Internet Security 2014, the current version is Kaspersky Internet Security 2015. What I suggest you to do is to uninstall your current Kaspersky product, download and install the 2015 version from the link below and use it instead. During the uninstall it'll keep by default your licence information, so the new 2015 version will be activated automatically.

http://www.kaspersky.ca/downloads/free-home-trials/internet-security?domain=kaspersky.com

unite_blue.png

#9 millie87248p79

millie87248p79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:20 PM

Hi.

If i did do that would i be getting the free 30 day trial?  If it's only the trial i'd be getting i don't really want to uninstall Kaspersky 2014 to have 30 days free of Kaspersky 2015. And i don't want to pay the upgrade to 2015 at the moment.

Unless you are telling me i can put in my current activation code and get the remainder of my subscription changed to the 2015 Kaspersky version? :-)

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:28 PM

Your Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 product key will work on Kaspersky Internet Security 2015. If you leave the licence information on the system when uninstalling 2014, they'll be picked up automatically by 2015 when installing it so the product will be activated with the remaining days on the licence. I did it myself and it worked without any issues :)

unite_blue.png

#11 millie87248p79

millie87248p79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:43 PM

Okay that sounds good. Thank you Aura.

Do i need to do anything about the 'Kltdi.sys driver that crashed the avp.exe process?

Was Kaspersky protecting my laptop and that is why it did the mini dumps?

As i've just read this:

'avp.exe is a process belonging to Kaspersky Internet Security Suite which protects your computer against Internet-bound threats such as spyware and Trojans which can be distributed through e-mail or attack directly to the computer allowing unauthorized access to your computer.'

Edited by millie87248p79, 02 February 2015 - 02:44 PM.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:51 PM

You don't need to do anything, installing the latest version of Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 will most likely correct the issue where that specific drivers was crashing your system.

unite_blue.png

#13 millie87248p79

millie87248p79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:51 PM

Do you recommend me getting rid of any or all of these which i still have installed on my laptop.

"Spybot start center, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, RogueKillerX64, Super AntiSpyware Free Edition, Hitman Pro, Housecall Launcher (Trend Micro), Spyware Blaster, Hijack This, Combo Fix, Adw Cleaner. "

Edited by millie87248p79, 02 February 2015 - 02:53 PM.

#14 millie87248p79

millie87248p79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:52 PM

Okay.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:53 PM

This is a bit overkill if you ask me. Also, some of these programs are stand alone executables, they aren't installed. If you don't need them, delete the following:

RogueKillerX64, Housecall Launcher (TrendMicro), HijackThis (discontinued and outdated), ComboFix (never use it by yourself without the supervision of a trained malware removal professional) and AdwCleaner.

You can keep SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot as on-demand scanners, but if you have Malwarebytes, it's not worth it, I would keep Malwarebytes instead and uninstall the two others.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users