Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloads, how do we know if they're downloading?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:53 PM

Hi, i just bought a strategy game by download only, hit the 'Download' button and everything went smoothly at first, with the 'progress bar' at bottom left gradually filling up.

But after an hour the bar vanished when it was only half full.

The 'working' wheel icon kept revolving as if the download was still alive, so I left it for another hour to see what happened, but to my shock horror a red X appeared at bott left (as below) and the clock vanished!

I searched my system but no sign of any game!

I'll have another crack later, but next time is there any way to check that any download (not just games) really is downloading and hasn't frozen, then if it's frozen I can immediately exit instead of wasting an hour waiting to see if it's going to do something?

I'm Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, AOL broadband.

Intel® Core™ i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40Ghz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

16384 MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770

dload_zpsaby00yzx.jpg

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 31 January 2015 - 02:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,506 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:38 PM

Which browser [and by inference, which built-in download manager] are you using?  There are plugins/extensions for Firefox that do a better job of "showNtell" as download[s] take[s] place [take that you English purists!]  I'm not familiar with Google Chrome or IE plugins/extensions enough to recommend something for either of those.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:04 PM

I just do everything through my AOL browser.

I've never used a 'Download Manager' (whatever they are) I just click the 'Download button' and 9 times out of 10 the download downloads fine, but not in the case I mentioned above.

I've got AVG and its firewall.

What I'm asking is whether there's a way to tell if a download is downloading, or whether its frozen.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:23 PM

Hi Mickin :)

If you are actually still using the AOL Explorer web browser, I suggest you to ditch it and start using another modern browser such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. The reason is that the AOL browser was discontinued in 2006, which is 9 years ago now. I'm sure that most websites doesn't have support for it and this could be the reason why this download is failing. There's no real troubleshooting to do here in an outdated and discontinued browser. Try to at least download the file in Internet Explorer and let me know if it works. But for your security and also your web browsing experience, I strongly recommend you to stop using it and move to another supported browser.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:45 PM

Thanks, Google Chrome did the trick..:)

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:47 PM

No problem Mickin :) If you are new to Google Chrome, I suggest you to visit the Chrome Web Store below:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore?hl=en

It contains a lot of extensions that can enhance your browsing experience, making it better :) I use extensions mainly for security, my top picks are HTTPS Everywhere, Ghostery, Web of Trust and uBlock if you want to take a look at them. I'm sure you'll find your own as well!

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users