Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java install won't complete & browsers were blocked

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jhoybs

jhoybs

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:31 PM

I have a laptop running 32 bit Vista.  At one point in time, both Chrome and Firefox couldn't access the internet but Internet Explorer could.  I've run the following tools numerous times in order to repair and remove a bunch of malware:

TDSSKiller

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

SuperAntispyware Free

Emisoft Anti-Malware

Adwcleaner

Eset Online scanner

I then had to use the following command to restore access to the browsers:

netsh winsock reset

During this time it also was running Norton Internet Security.  I've gotten to the point over the last few days of all these tools detecting nothing consistently.  The only problem I'm consistently getting is the latest Java 8 update 31 freezing during installation consistently.  Because of this, it never appears in the control panel to remove and the Java removal tool won't remove it because they say it was successfully installed and the latest version.

Everything else appears up-to-date including Windows, Chrome, Firefox, Flash & Adobe reader.

Am I worrying for nothing?  When I Googled Java not installing fully, I couldn't find any course of action that made any sense to me.

Many thanks for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:53 PM

10 things to try when Java won't install properly
Basic troubleshooting tips for Java issues
Contact Java Support Options

BTW...using Java is an unnecessary security risk...especially using older versions which have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system.Although Java is commonly used in business environments and many VPN providers still use it, the average user does not need to install Java software.I recommend just uninstalling Java if you don't use it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 jhoybs

jhoybs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:18 PM

Believe me, I would love to remove it. I just can't figure out a way to remove without an entry in the control panel.  The Java website says it's fully installed, their removal tool won't remove it because it's the current version, but I can't uninstall it without a control panel entry.

I also tried JavaRA, but it didn't appear to work.

#4 jhoybs

jhoybs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:52 PM

Wait!  One of the suggestions in the links quietman7 gave suggested creating an administrator account and trying to install Java from it.  When I did, the Java 8 Update 31 installer found that Java 7 Update 67 was still installed and it uninstalled it!  Some malware must have been exploiting that release of Java for something devious.  The JavaRA uninstaller missed that one too.

I'm in the process of rescanning the computer.  I think I should be good now.  Thanks for the help!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:15 PM

Starting with Java 6 update 10, the uninstaller incorporated in each new release uses Enhanced Auto update to automatically remove the previous version when updating to a later update release. It will not remove older versions prior to those installed before update 10, so they still need to be removed manually. Odd that JavaRA missed it.

BTW...if Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) is showing an entry but the program's uninstaller or folder has been removed, then most likely it is an orphaned entry in the Windows registry. Orphaned or invalid entries are harmless and can be removed by editing the registry but a safer and easier way to do this is to use a third-party utility like CCleaner, Revo Uninstaller, or WinPatrol.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users