Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where is the minimize button in windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ClaireTX

ClaireTX

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:23 PM

This is probably simple, but I hate windows 8.1 so much that I have no patience to try to figure it out.

I have loaded classic shell that has solved a lot of problems, but the metro stuff is still messing up my ability to function.

When I start playing a Coast to Coast mp3 download, the music window starts scrolling through CD covers from some source that they want me buy from and is very distracting.  I want to minimize the window to get it out of the way, but I do not seem to have any of those old useful functions.

Whatever happened to the function buttons for controlling what you see of a window?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 UMGCOMPUTER

UMGCOMPUTER

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:31 PM

Simple! Same Place It's Been In Other WIndows

#3 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:32 AM

Use keyboard short-cut keys

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/20-pc-shortcuts

Although that is for Windows 7

Windows key + down arrow still minimizes the top window after a couple of presses.

#4 ClaireTX

ClaireTX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:24 PM

OK, tried that.........it shrunk the window, but not sure where it went

is there really no way in classic shell for windows 8.1 to get the good old shrink, half pane, and full pane buttons back?

I had a bad accident in May that messed up my left arm and hand nerves...........although getting better, I still can not type very well or fast with left hand........would really like to use the mouse with one motion buttons

#5 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:57 PM

I gave you the wrong key combination there.

Windows key + down arrow closes the program while Windows key + M minimizes the program.

If you want to press one key at a time Turn on sticky keys.

To turn on or off sticky keys press Shift 5 times in quick succession.

When you have minimized an App move your pointer to the left top or left bottom corner of the screen and move the pointer up or down. You should then see all your open Apps. Click on the one you want to restore to full screen.

Here are more useful key combinations http://blog.laptopmag.com/15-essential-windows-8-keyboard-shortcuts

This time for Windows 8.

I've not used the classic shell so I can't advise on that.

#6 ClaireTX

ClaireTX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:32 AM

thanks, will give it a try

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users