Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU Artifacts on boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 matt3948

matt3948

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:33 PM

The problem happens as follows, I boot my computer (after about 5-10 hours of it being off and the powerstrip being off) and I'm greated with an GPU artifact-ed login page. 

Looks like this: http://imgur.com/a/1oGcT#0

I noticed the problem about 3 weeks ago, and uninstalled the programs that I had recently installed that may have effected it (A steam game, Nvida Physx, and WinSCP). 

None of that fixed it - however, once I reboot my computer, that problem does not exist anymore, and even if I game for 5+ hours I get zero artifacts. 

Originally I thought it was my front USB headers as when I unplugged my headset and rebooted it would fix it, but now I'm realizing that any reboot fixes it about 75+% of the time. 

Here are my specs: 

Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.20GHz 32 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B75M-D3H (Intel Core i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz) 28 °C
Graphics
Acer H236HL (1920x1080@60Hz)
Acer H236HL (1920x1080@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner) 30 °C
Hard Drives
112GB Patriot Pyro SE (SSD) 29 °C
932GB Seagate ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB (SATA) 30 °C
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS124 W
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

Today i'm reinstalling the GPU drivers, so we'll see how that goes - but I don't have a good feeling about it.

Thanks for everyone's help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:27 PM

[pure guesswork]

Leftovers from the previous shutdown almost sound like the plug was pulled before the process was complete.

While you are updating check to be sure your BIOS is current.

Dck

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 matt3948

matt3948
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:36 PM

[pure guesswork]

Leftovers from the previous shutdown almost sound like the plug was pulled before the process was complete.

While you are updating check to be sure your BIOS is current.

Dck

I've updated my gpu drivers to the current omega 14.12 and haven't had it happen yet, but my computer hasn't really been off for that long. I'll post tomorrow after I get up.'

and yes, my bios is at the current F15 version. 

#4 matt3948

matt3948
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:39 PM

If anyone gets to this page with the same issue, Installing the omega 14.12 drivers as well as disabling USB during boot (BIOS) seemed to fix the issue. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users