Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bitdefender anticryptolocker

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 phildbrown

phildbrown

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:09 PM

I installed this program on my Windows 7 computer and now it takes a long time to get an internet connection.Once I have a connection opening a browser (firefox or internet explorer) takes ages till it finds my Bing homepage. Even though I have run IObit Uninstaller and have perhaps uninstalled this program (I can find no trace of it) the slowness persists. I am unable to use System Restore as it won't run even though I have my antivirus turned off ( AVG2015 and IObit Malware Fighter) - leading me to think that Anticryptolocker is still on the system somewhere inaccessible. Please advise me as to what I can do.

phildbrown

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:31 PM

I can find no specific removal instructions on the Bitdefender website. You may want to double-check with Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable....follow these instructions for using it.

I do not trust IObit products due to the vendor's past dubious practices in regards to stealing from Malwarebytes.

If Revo finds nothing, you may want to contact and ask their support staff...
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:42 PM

BTW, from what I read about Bitdefender Anti-CryptoLocker, it appears specific only for that infection which has not been seen in a long time. Instead we are seeing fake CryptoLocker variants where the malware writes are simply using that name for other ransomware variants. IMO, more effective alternatives would be..

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:02 PM

I personally suggest you to uninstall IOBit Malware Fighter.

warning.gifiObit Software Warning!
I noticed that you have programs from iObit installed on your system. iObit have been accused in the past from using shady techniques in order to promote and enhance their products, one of which was to steal Malwarebytes' definition database to include it in their "Antimalware", iObit Malware Fighter. On top of that, their main product, Advanced SystemCare, goes into the "PC Booster" category of program, which are useless programs that are useless since there's no proofs or facts that these actually boost the performance of a system, and are borderline "scamware". In fact, these programs have a tendency to cause a variety of issues under Windows, that can be solved by uninstalling the software, ironic isn't it? Therefore, I strongly suggest you to uninstall every iObit program you have installed on your system before we continue. You are free to reinstall them after I'm done assisting you if you wish to ignore my warning above.

Relevant articles:Might as well uninstall it and use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware instead which is way better.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:25 PM

Further, IOBIT has even been placed into the Installers Hall of Shame for bundling toolbars with their products.

#6 phildbrown

phildbrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:16 PM

I can find no specific removal instructions on the Bitdefender website. You may want to double-check with Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable....follow these instructions for using it.

I do not trust IObit products due to the vendor's past dubious practices in regards to stealing from Malwarebytes.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:19 PM

Did you mean to post any comments or just quote what I stated?

#8 phildbrown

phildbrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for this I shall uninstall IObit products and see how I get on - I managed to get rid of Bitdefender using IObit Uninstaller however with fored uninstall.

#9 phildbrown

phildbrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:22 PM

I noticed that you have programs from iObit installed on your system. iObit have been accused in the past from using shady techniques in order to promote and enhance their products, one of which was to steal Malwarebytes' definition database to include it in their "Antimalware", iObit Malware Fighter. On top of that, their main product, Advanced SystemCare, goes into the "PC Booster" category of program, which are useless programs that are useless since there's no proofs or facts that these actually boost the performance of a system, and are borderline "scamware". In fact, these programs have a tendency to cause a variety of issues under Windows, that can be solved by uninstalling the software, ironic isn't it? Therefore, I strongly suggest you to uninstall every iObit program you have installed on your system before we continue. You are free to reinstall them after I'm done assisting you if you wish to ignore my warning above.

Relevant articles:

Might as well uninstall it and use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware instead which is way better.

Thanks I will do as you suggest(also warned against IObit by Quietman7) and see how I get on, Computer seems to be getting very suspiciously sluggish now, phildbrown

#10 phildbrown

phildbrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:46 PM

Did you mean to post any comments or just quote what I stated?

I meant to post a comment - basically say thanks and I will uninstall IObit products and see what happpens - will also scan computer with malware bytes as it is going slow. phildbrown

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:02 PM

Not a problem.

If you find any malware and need assistance or just need to check your system further for possible malware infection, you should start a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum for assistance OR follow the instructions provided in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.
  • If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.
When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:44 PM

Relevant articles:

Might as well uninstall it and use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware instead which is way better.

Thanks I will do as you suggest(also warned against IObit by Quietman7) and see how I get on, Computer seems to be getting very suspiciously sluggish now, phildbrown

If you want, I could take a look at your installed programs and list you every IObit products so you'll be sure to uninstall them all, as well as additional bloated programs that you don't need.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:56 PM

That certainly can be done if the OP wants to start a new topic.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,234 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:32 PM

Take a look at your HOSTS file. Bitdefender Anticryptolocer supposedly adds a huge amount of entries. That could be slowing down the computer.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:35 PM

Now why couldn't the folks at Bitdefender provide that information...instead we have to search other community forums?

NEW! (sort-of) Bitdefender "anti-cryptolocker" freebee?

Mark H Cohen Jan 9, 2014 at 4:03 PM

I got the following email from Bitdefender. It contains a little bit more info on the product, though I'm not sure why he thinks a Spicehead would "only interested in quickly fixing their issue rather than reading what is under the hood."

"I’m sorry you find this utility disappointing; can you please give us some feedback as to why it failed to meet your expectation? We are continuously working on improving this tool, so your feedback would be really appreciated.

The Anti-Cryptolocker tool works by preventing Cryptolocker from starting, so we can proactively block unknown samples. The second defense layer is to block any inbound or outbound connections to specific Cryptolocker domains that are known to be contacted with keypair requests – this prevents the malware from getting its encryption keys from the server, thus crippling its ransomware behavior. The tool also includes some protection technologies that are part of our antivirus solution (host-intrusion, among other things).

Regarding the self-protect driver, it is a proprietary Bitdefender technology that denies access to the utility’s files and prevents malware from tampering with it (i.e. killing the application, infecting its binary files etc).

We also have an enterprise-version of the tool for easy deployment (the tool runs as a service). If you would like to check it out, please get in touch with us and I’ll forward your request to our support team.

One of the reasons we did not document this tool is because the average customer is only interested in quickly fixing their issue rather than reading what is under the hood. We are however open to discussing the matter with our customers, should they ask for additional information.

Thanks again for taking your time to write us and please let me know if I can assist you any further.

Kind regards,

Bogdan “BOB” BOTEZATU
Senior E-Threat Analyst
+40 731 498 162

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users