Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Recover The Space after Deleting The File.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Black Scorpion

Black Scorpion

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:39 PM

I had recently installed EaseUs Todo Backup Home and by default it created a "My Backups" folder in my C drive. I had saved a BacKup Image of the size of 38GB to that folder. When i deleted that Backup image, still i am unable to recover that space of 38GB. I will really appreciate, if anyone can help me to recover my free space of 38GB on my C Drive. Thankyou in advance.

Note: I tried with Ccleaner by using "Wipe the Free Space" on My C Drive, it didn't Help.

Edited by Black Scorpion, 31 January 2015 - 12:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:48 PM

EaseUs Todo Backup Home still active, correct?  Did you delete the backup image within My Backups using Explorer or ETBH?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Black Scorpion

Black Scorpion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:51 PM

Yes.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:50 PM

Yes.

ok, your yes that ETBH is still around.

Within My Backups, did you delete the backup image using Explorer or ETBH?

Assuming ETBH's My 32GB Backups directory's still exists:

-- are you trying to empty My Backups or

-- are you wanting to do away with My Backups directory [reclaiming 32GB that way]?

Edited by RolandJS, 31 January 2015 - 03:32 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 Black Scorpion

Black Scorpion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:22 AM

I Still Have ETBH and used it to delete the backup image. Even deleted the image from "My Backups" folder & this folder shows as empty and still i am unable get back my 38GB back. Thankyou.

Edited by Black Scorpion, 01 February 2015 - 01:24 AM.

#6 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,798 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:41 PM

BlackScorpion:  I am an ETBH user as well and visit their Forums almost daily.  Their tech support and response times are phenomenal, if you are using the paid version.

I am wondering: have you connected an external backup drive (if that is what you want to use for backups)?  I note that ETBH sets the backup location during installation.  You can change that later, but you should delete the image and the backup plan, and, after changing ETBH to point to the new backup location, with the backup target connected, you should be able to safely delete the "My Backups" folder on C:\.  A cold boot and actually running a backup to the new target might "convince" ETBH to "release" the space that I am GUESSING it is presumably "reserving" for a backup.

If that doesn't work, I recommend you post on the ETBH Forum.  Paul or Kenn or one of the other developers will resolve your problem ... guaranteed.  Just a note, if you are using the free version, they do not, for obvious reasons, offer tech support normally, but they do have a Forum for the free version and there are some pretty knowledgeable folks there.

Hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Graduate of the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Study Hall

#7 Black Scorpion

Black Scorpion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:50 PM

Hello Phill,

Even after deleting My Backups folder, i am unable to recover my 38GB space on my C Drive. I will try the other option to get in touch with the support team on the forum. Thankyou for your help.

Regards

BS

#8 Black Scorpion

Black Scorpion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:26 AM

Unable to register on ETBH forum and unable to get any help from them. I request to someone  help me to solve this problem. Thankyou.

#9 Black Scorpion

Black Scorpion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:18 AM

Even after uninstalling ETBH, i am unable to recover my space on my C Drive. I am unable to understand why i am not able to get my 38GB space back. I request someone to help me solve this mystery. thankyou.

Edited by Black Scorpion, 04 February 2015 - 10:19 AM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:38 AM

Download WInDirstat. It lists where and what is taking space on the drive.  It may give a clue on the 38GB space.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:41 PM

?ETBH may have some residual hooks lurking in the Registry?  If that is the case, we are about to face a very dangerous-to-edit area; even registry cleaners must be used with great caution.  I have no more ideas as I cannot suggest or encourage registry editing/registry cleaning "over the 'net."

#12 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• 3,798 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:56 PM

BlackScorpion:

I am not sure why you could not register at the Easeus Forum.  I visit them daily and the Forms are working.  Here is the link to their support page:

http://www.easeus.com/support/contact.htm

They only provide free technical support for the paid edition, but you could email them any ways.  They are very good about responding.

I have to endorse the recommendation made previously to download and install WinDirStat.  It will show you what files are taking up space on your hard drive and their relative sizes.  If ETBH is responsible for "owning" 38 GB, then that will show up as a very big and obvious box.

If you confirm that that the 38 GB is being "held" by ETBH, then I could post in the Easeus Forum, if you still can't get in or get no reply to your email.  I could link to this thread and ask them to check it for you and get back to you.  You would have to PM me with your email address (don't post it here - it could be "harvested" by spammers).

I also concur that you DON'T want to start hacking at your registry unless you have precise instructions from Easeus Tech Support.  ETBH does install low-level drivers and unless you used Revo Uninstaller Pro, or a similar professional uninstaller, there might be remnants left.  Windows Control Panel is notorious for leaving all kinds of junk behind, the reason I never use it.  Also, if you decide to attempt a registry hack, ENSURE that you export your registry FIRST to a USB drive, and ensure that you have a CD/DVD which will boot your computer into Windows so that you would be able to restore the backup of the registry in case the hack goes awry, and that happens much too often.  Dangerous place, the registry.

Hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Edited by garioch7, 04 February 2015 - 03:57 PM.

#13 Black Scorpion

Black Scorpion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:55 AM

Hello Phil,

I am really thankful to you for your help. Tried all the options, but could'nt understand what was causing the problem and sought a friend's help. He solved the problem, which took him more than a hour to solve and problem was with ETBH. Thankyou once again.

Regards

BS 

#14 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• 3,798 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:18 PM

Black Scorpion:

I am glad that you were able to resolve the issue.  Would you mind sharing the solution with us?  If it is a program "bug", then I will bring it to the attention of the ETBH programmers on their Forum.

Thanks and have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:12 PM

FWIW:  Running the chkdsk /r command...is probably the correct way to get accurate data on free space...for any partition/drive.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users