Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ZipInstaller alternative

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ashecorven

ashecorven

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:17 AM

Does anyone have an alternative to NirSoft ZipInstaller?

Even if it only has a sole extra feature - to enable the user to alter the detected Company/Author, Product Name, version, description, etc.?

The majority of programmes I want to install in this fashion don't include correct information if any (or ZipInstaller is not picking it up). This results in strange or blank entries in Programmes and Features (not at all desirable).

However, of course, if there is a suitable programme that also ensures permissions are set up properly within admin protected folders and chooses the correct PF directory (or again gives the user the choice) I would love to hear of it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:31 AM

I am not sure if this is what you are after as it does not create a zip installer. Only edits a exe file's attributes. See if Resource Hacker will work for you.

See third post from the last in this thread on it's use.

#3 ashecorven

ashecorven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:09 PM

Hi JC,

Thank you for your response, I already use ResourceHacker, PEStudio, CFF, etc for malware analysis but I'm not looking at creating a zip installer, but rather installing a programme from a zip.

NirSoft's ZipInstaller installs files from an archive to Program Files, whilst creating start menu shortcuts and uninstallation information in Program(me)'s and Features.

It's great time saver for portable apps or in my case those that don't have installer versions.

It has some issues though, as listed in my first post so am hoping for an alternative.

Ashe.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I did some searching and the only thing I could find close to ZipInstaller is Setup Factory and it is not cheap. Not sure if it meets your needs or not.

http://www.indigorose.com/products/setup-factory/

http://www.indigorose.com/products/setup-factory/product-features/

#5 ashecorven

ashecorven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:52 PM

Interesting, Quite a large programme for such a small function, and of course, as you mentioned, there's also the cost.

I've not been able to turn anything else up myself.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:36 PM

I don't have any experience with the following but take a look at these Windows Installers, free and paid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_installation_software

#7 ashecorven

ashecorven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:26 PM

Hi again JohnC,

Unfortunately, as far as I can see, they're all to create installers rather than actually install applications.

The purpose of ZipInstaller is to install applications that do not come packaged with their own installer. Quick way to place the said application into Programme Files, create links and an uninstallation entry in Programmes and Features.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users