Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7-10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hman123467

hman123467

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:51 AM

Hi everyone
I have a computer running windows 7 with an intel core2 duo e5200. Would It be a good idea to upgrade?
System
CPU: Intel core2 Duo e5200 @2.4 GHz
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 740 2048 mb ddr3
Motherboard: gigabyte g31m
PSU: 450W X-Tech

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 10:00 AM

If you have more than 1 or 2GB of RAM with that, your computer passes the minimum requirements for Windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-faq-system-requirements-pc

Also, you should only upgrade if you know how to mess around with an OS that is still in technical preview, which means that there's still a lot of bugs and issues that you might encounter during your normal use of it and if you're not able to fix them by yourself, you'll just have an overall hardtime with it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 hman123467

hman123467
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:36 PM

Would it delete all my program's and apps?
I might wait until it is fully released.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:38 PM

Depending on the upgrading method you choose for Windows 10 (if there's even an upgrade method), you'll have the option to keep all your personal files, while the rest will be stored in a folder called windows.old. However, all your programs and applications will have to be re-downloaded and reinstalled. And if you're not sure, I suggest you to wait until the official release, which is set to be somewhere in Fall of this year (2015). :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:50 AM

If you do decide to install it I recommend saving your current entire system drive to an image using Macrium Reflect Free or a similar imaging program.  Save the image to an external USB drive and make a bootable rescue USB key or CD.

You can find several free image backup programs on

the free country

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#6 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:30 AM

Would it delete all my program's and apps?
I might wait until it is fully released.

I did this for the sake of testing. I upgraded a cloned copy of my Windows 7 on separate SSD to Windows 10 (on build 9860 that time). All installed programs and data remained intact and nothing was deleted. I even tried rolling back to Windows 7 as part of my test. It went well, too. You can go ahead and do it BUT, make sure to back up your data and you have at least a system image of your current Windows 7 OS that you can revert to in case you encountered an issue during the upgrade process. Every user have different upgrade experiences depending on the machine they are upgrading. If you don't have a system backup, don't do it. See above post about backing up.

Edited by badr0b0t, 09 February 2015 - 08:46 AM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#7 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:44 PM

Here's a video of the test upgrade I did.

I upgraded WIn 7 to Win 10 and then I rolled it back to Win 7 again.

Warning: 16mins video from start to finish. Total upgrade and rollback time is about an hour.

(I also encountered a grub issue from the beginning but easily fixed it at the beginning of the video).

If you have questions, just reply to this post. 

Cheers!

http://youtu.be/FP1N57whxxw

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#8 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:26 AM

Im installing now

Robert James Crawley Klopp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users