Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Died! Please Help

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 naeseth

naeseth

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:01 PM

I have a 2.5 year old eMachines T4511 that has died on me... wont turn on at all. It has 2.53 ghz, 768 ram, p4, windows xp, and a radeon x800 graphics card. Before it completely died everyonce in a while it didnt recognize my speakers for some reason. It seems to me that the problem started after I tried to upgrade the RAM with a generic 1gb stick of memory. After I tried to install it, my graphics card stopped working for some reason. I formatted at that point and got the use of my graphics card back, but i still had the intermittent problem with my speakers. Now when i press and hold the power button down... NOthing! any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:08 PM

Hi naeseth,

Try this...

First- remove the added memory and try it.... then:

Remove all adapter cards from your computer and go back to your base memory. Power it up and look for lights and listen for beeps. If you have activity, replace one component at a time until things give trouble. Basically this is trial and error to determine the failing part(s). If you didn't have a response when you removed the adapters - remove all memory, unplug all drives and try again. If you still have no activity, you have a bad power supply or system board. Speaking of power supplies, is the strong enough - enough wattage - to handle what you have in your computer?

good luck,

rigel

Edited by rigel, 24 June 2006 - 08:09 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 naeseth

naeseth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:28 PM

that didnt work... still not turning on at all. Thanks for the tip, any other ideas?

#4 Qas

Qas

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:38 PM

dp any light come on the computer? it could be your PSU. Can you see any lights (leds) on the motherboard?

#5 naeseth

naeseth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:23 PM

no lights come on when i try to turn the PC on.... nothing at all. no lights, nothing... I wonder if my PS burnt because of the high end graphics card I have??? but no... no lights come on at all.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:11 PM

No LEDs, no fans, no spinning up of hdd or optical drives = bad PSU. RIP

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:32 PM

I agree. Most likely bad psu. (especially if you cant get anything to work on your old configuration) I haven't had very good luck with emachines so I try to stay away from them. Your kinda lucky though, something went totally wrong with my friends emachines psu and fried his radeon 9800xt (Holes were burnt in some of the chips). He upgraded to a 500w (with pretty lights) and hasn't had a problem since....except that he had to go back to his radeon 9600. There are calcuators and stuff to help you find the new power supply you might need (if it is the psu) such as http://journeysystems.com/power_supply_calculator.php good luck

#8 Qas

Qas

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:29 AM

Yeh looks like an PSU. Allthough it could be a motherbaord (doubt it)
so order a new PSU on ebuyer.com if it dont work they will give u a refund, once returned. OR if its under warrenty make a claim.
You can also order a PSU tester

Edited by Qas, 27 June 2006 - 09:30 AM.

#9 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:56 PM

A short on the motherboard can make it look like the PSU has died. Chances are much better that the PSU is fried but this is not always the case.

#10 naeseth

naeseth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:12 PM

Thanks for everyone's help. I am going to order a 430watt PSU. I hope that will do it. If it is a short in the motherboard, what will that take to fix, and about how much will it cost?

#11 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:10 PM

If the motherboard fries, well... let's just say that you will pay about $80. Another good way to test the PSU is to take any wire, and stick both ends into these following places: one end in the green wire and the other in any black wire. You must place the wire in exactly those spots otherwise you fried your PSU. lol

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#12 naeseth

naeseth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:50 PM

Ok, havent gotten the new PSU yet. But when I plug the power cord into the psu, the PSU makes a slight buzzing noise like the fan is trying to come on, does that narrow the problem down to the psu?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users