Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer help

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Justin579

Justin579

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:29 AM

I have a Asus x99a motherboard and I cannot get the sata to work. It pops up a few times I don't know why. It detects my usb stuff but not sata. I don't have a DVD sata to use since mine is broke. I updated the bios to the newest and still nothing. I have 3 drives it detected 2 of them and that was once only

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:54 AM

At what point does the computer stop? Do you get to the point where you see a message telling you no boot device found or does the computer stop before that? Do your hard drives support SATA III and are you using SATA III cables? What hard drives do you have? I'm not sure using the wrong cable would cause the drives to not be detected but that's something to check. Actually, I expect the drives would be detected but there'd be data transmission errors but I might be wrong. Try resetting BIOS settings to default. Are you trying to put the hard drives in a RAID configuration or independently use them?

#3 Justin579

Justin579
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:17 AM

It boots to bios no matter what but when I try to install Windows it detects nothing.
Yes they are new. I have a Samsung tb ssd and Kingston. No I not use raid.

#4 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:48 AM

I guess you're trying to install Windows from a USB flash drive. What version of Windows are you installing? I checked the manual for your motherboard and read that four SATA III cables came with the motherboard so you're probably using those cables. I'm not sure if the BIOS isn't detecting the drives or if only Windows setup isn't detecting the drives. If you go in to the BIOS setup you can go to the Boot menu to check the detected drives in the Boot Override section.

#5 Justin579

Justin579
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:30 AM

No... It is from a usb DVD drive but it doesn't detect any drives in the bios.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:17 AM

It pops up a few times I don't know why.

what?  What do you mean it pops up a few times...

Check the cables and thier connectors ...

I am not sure what your trying to do here.. I think you need to elaborate.

#7 Justin579

Justin579
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:25 AM

I mean the drives DID show up. They showed up twice and that was it. One time the tb the other time the Kingston.

Of course I did that. I put them in different sockets. Used a old sata cable I used before etc.

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:27 AM

In the bios enable the plug-and-play boot from usb, make sure the usb ports are enabled, and connect then external drive

#9 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:29 AM

SO.. what your saying is that the drives are not detected in the bios? or not detected when you try to load windows.....

#10 Justin579

Justin579
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:05 AM

External drive? I said the usb works just the sata doesn't.

And both.

#11 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:10 AM

Okay .. do you have a working copy of windows on this computer and your ADDING SSD's or ... are you trying to install windows onto an SSD and the windows installer doesnt see the SSD ????

#12 Justin579

Justin579
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:27 AM

What....? Didn't I say I'm trying to install window?

#13 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:48 AM

It pops up a few times I don't know why.

what?  What do you mean it pops up a few times...

Check the cables and thier connectors ...

I am not sure what your trying to do here.. I think you need to elaborate.

While he's been working on this he restarted the computer multiple times and a couple times the drives were detected by the BIOS.

Are the drives plugged in to the gray SATA Express port, the other gray SATA ports, or the black SATA ports? What version of Windows are you installing? Might not be the problem but Secure Boot and GOP aren't supported by Windows 7 and I don't see a clear way to disable those features in your motherboard's BIOS. Changing the OS Type option to Other OS (found in Boot menu, Secure Boot, in the BIOS setup) might switch off the requirement of using Secure Boot. Might need to clear the saved keys. However, if Secure Boot were the problem I expect you wouldn't be able to get to the point of choosing an SSD or HDD for installing Windows 7. I see no mention of GOP in your motherboard's manual.

If your motherboard is new or covered by warranty then might be best to contact ASUS about this. There may be a quirk or common issue with this motherboard that we don't know about and ASUS might be able to help better with this issue.

Edited by Windont, 31 January 2015 - 11:52 AM.

#14 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:58 PM

Id say that the SATA ports are faulty

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#15 Justin579

Justin579
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:08 PM

I just bought a new rampage extreme and had the same problem. Cannot be a coincidence

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users