Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop shuts down instantly while in use

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JoeThing

JoeThing

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:22 PM

Hello,

A while ago my laptop shut down while I was in the middle of playing a game on it. I thought it was just a crash so I started it up again and ignored it but just recently it crashed again while playing the same game. I'm uncertain if it is the game because I've played it for 26 combined hours before, and only today it started doing this. What happens is I'm using the laptop basically and then it just shuts off instantly. There's no BSOD or crash error message, it just instantly shuts off to a black screen. When I turn it back on there's no errors or anything and it loads just fine. I looked up the recent unexpected shutdowns and it actually shows 3 rather than 2. Now that I've looked at it, I do remember that something had froze and task manager was refusing to open. I tried to go to the registry editor but that also refused to open, but other programs opened fine. I then decided to restart it to see if that was the issue. I shut it down and it did everything fine, but when it went to a black screen and when the laptop usually goes off, I could still hear the fan and the noises from it. I left it for quite a while and it still didn't shut off so I held the power button and it went off. After that I have been using it fine other than these 2 instant shutdowns. Now I am wondering if what I did before is causing it? Or what could be the issue?

My Computer Specs:

Windows 8.1

Intel Core i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz    2.40 GHz

8 GB RAM

Unexpected shutdowns were at:

1/30/2015 3:49:28 PM

1/30/2015 6:40:39 PM

1/30/2015 8:50:13 PM

I'm not sure if you need more info, but if so I can gladly give it. Thanks very much for any help in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:32 PM

Hi,

My first [only] guess is that you have a heat problem. If not the CPU then the GPU. If you re able I would open the case and make sure that all of the vents are clear and clean. I would also seriously consider getting a cooling pad of some description to assist in keeping temperatures down

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 JoeThing

JoeThing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:25 PM

Alright, thanks for that info. It hasn't done it since so I'm hoping that's what the issue is. I'll take the advice and clear out the vents. Thanks!

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:33 PM

Keep us posted. We'll be here when you need us. il then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]