Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding a Bluetooth Dongle

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan Mohr

Bryan Mohr

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:47 PM

I have 2 USB Bluetooth dongles that show up in Device Manager as "CSR Bluetooth Chip" by Realtek. They both report that they are functioning properly. But when I go to try to add a a set of Bluetooth headphones, they are never detected. This is on 2 different computers (although running very similar software) running Windows 7 Professional. If I go to a 3rd computer that came with a Bluetooth radio built-in, the headphones show up right away when going to add it. On the 2 computers that I've tried the 2 dongles on, the "Add a Bluetooth device" option isn't showing at all. Also, there is no "Radio Information" for either of the dongles. The fields are blank.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:39 PM

It sounds like to me you may need to update the drivers for the dongle as the dongle does not appear to be working even though it says it is in device manager.  Maybe try deleting the devices in device manager and shutting down the computer without the dongle attatched. And then reboot the computer.  Wait a few moments for it to settle and then plug your dongle back in and make sure the drivers install correctly.  If you don't have the option to add bluetooth device than there is something wrong with the dongle or the drivers.  Check if theres an updated driver on the website for the dongle manufacturer.

#3 Bryan Mohr

Bryan Mohr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:42 AM

I deleted the device on both non-working machines, and rebooted. The desktop came back up successfully, but I got sidetracked on the laptop and went in and uninstalled some other no longer needed apps on the laptop. When I attempted to reboot the laptop, I couldn't get past a BSOD, went through system repair and all but no dice. So I did a restore to 10 days ago, inserted the dongle and it was recognized and installed perfectly. Even the "Add Bluetooth device" option is there now. But I actually want this working on the desktop. That went through the installing device driver software without a problem, but the option to add a Bluetooth device still isn't there. The software that I deleted from the laptop isn't even on the desktop so that couldn't be it.

One thing I just noticed that is now different between the Desktop and Laptop, the Desktop does not have "Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator" showing in device manager.

Edited by Bryan Mohr, 31 January 2015 - 03:27 AM.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:51 AM

Once the device ' dongle ' is detected it is controlled by the enumerator thats why its working on the laptop and not the desktop.

Do you have all the latest updates on the ' desktop computer ' and what version of windows is that running?

Basically the desktop machine does not detect the dongle so its not going to detect your headset...

#5 Bryan Mohr

Bryan Mohr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:12 AM

I do have all of the updates. Both machines are running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. And the dongle does appear in the device manager, but the properties show no radio information, manufacturer, etc...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users