Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password Box Loop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bytemare

Bytemare

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:26 PM

I hope someone can help.  Here's the computer:     Windows 8.1  64 bit. 12 GB Ram     I will try to describe what's happening:

If I start the computer from total shutdown, all works good, the lock screen window comes up, then I type in the password box & go on into the O.S.  But once I am logged in, if I need to reboot, after getting to the lock screen, the minute I hit a key (or click the mouse) to go to the password box, the screen flickers, goes black, flickers, I see the password box screen flash for a second, it sounds like a lock screen reboot (though I never see the lock screen again), password box screen flash, lock screen reboot and on and on.  It is in a loop until finally 8.1 asks if I want to repair.  That doesn't work though as I've tried using the startup fix.

If I shut the computer down, wait a while and then start it up, all works normal so that I can type in the password and OS starts up, no problem.  The odd thing is I can restart every time into safe mode but never in regular WIndows until I let it sit for a while. 

At first I thought an overheating hardware issue but why then can I restart into safe mode every time with no wait and no problems?

I have uninstalled Windows updates, uninstalled drivers, did a SFC /scannow in safe mode with admin cmd but it comes back:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

I don't know how to read the CBS files.  I would attach the file but it's too big (1.52 MB).

Any idea what could be causing this?  I was hoping to fix it without a refresh files as last time I did this, I had more work to put my computer back than what I thought I'd have.  But.......if no other solution I guess I have no choice.

Thanks to any and all that can help me track down and fix the password box loop.

~Byte

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:14 PM

Hopefully this article will help you.

#3 Bytemare

Bytemare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

YeahBleeping,  

I will try that and report back if that works.  Thanks.

~Byte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users