Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home NAS Basics ??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sodicka320

sodicka320

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:20 PM

Hi

Have been thinking for a while whether to get a NAS for home , but not sure if my reasoning is correct. confused.png

Have 1 main pc with 1x 160gb main HD and 1x 500gb storage drive

Kids have tablets at the moment but might need laptops for school eventually.

Use Roku and Xbox 360 for media stuff too.

Does this one look any good for entry deal:

http://www.dabs.com/products/netgear...m_content=i700

If used with only one drive would it backup my storage drive in my PC but still be able to view photos/videos/music through DLNA devices ?

On PC have different users for each of the family can levels of access be set for each users still?

Cheers Kev cool.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:12 PM

The NAS should have mirrored drives at a minimum.  You don't want to use a single drive for storage.  It dies and you lost everything permanently.

Concerning your questions you would want to review the users manual for that unit.  Just download it from their web site.

#3 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:12 AM

Home+NAS+reviews

https://www.google.com/search?q=Home+NAS&oq=Home+NAS&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i65j69i60&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=Home%2BNAS%2Breviews

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:58 AM

FWIW, I have a Netgear ReadyNAS device and it works great for me. I have a 4 bay NAS.

And yes, you can setup different user accounts for each user on a ReadyNAS. You can also have those different user's personal shares automatically mount when they log in.

I will note that Netgear's ReadyNAS line has a pretty good forum for asking questions and getting help: http://www.readynas.com/forum/

Other good NAS options are Synology and QNAP.

And while you do not have to run a dual bay ReadyNAS (or Synology or QNAP) with two drives, I do agree with Wand3r3r that is it a good idea to do so and run the two drives in mirror mode (which most 2 bay NAS devices will either only do or do by default).

#5 sodicka320

sodicka320
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone , much appreciated .

I was trying to save on a second hdd for the NAS if single hdd could mirror the storage one in my pc but sounds like I should invest in the second for the NAS ;)

If I do this shortly will it be fine swapping to a new pc when Win 10 is released later this year ?

Cheers :cool:

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone , much appreciated .

I was trying to save on a second hdd for the NAS if single hdd could mirror the storage one in my pc but sounds like I should invest in the second for the NAS ;)

There are ways to kind of mirror from an internal drive to some sort of external drive. In the case of a NAS, that "external" drive would be a network drive. So, it would be more a matter of either doing a form of a duplicate backup or file sync using a third party program. Generally, this would not be a "live" sync/mirror (i.e. happening instantaneously). It would happen on some backup/sync schedule that runs periodically. If you want an NAS and "true" mirroring, then your best bet is a RAID NAS with at least two bays (and a drive in each bay).

If memory serves, Windows 7 does have a built-in Soft RAID function that would allow you to mirror from the internal drive to an external USB drive...I believe. You would likely need to post that question to the Windows 7 forum most likely.

If I do this shortly will it be fine swapping to a new pc when Win 10 is released later this year ?

Cheers :cool:

If you go with the NAS, then you should have no problem as a NAS is a network drive. You just mount your "shares" (aka "network drives") from the NAS to your new computer.

The only possible problem is if you pick a cheap NAS whose manufacturer decides not upgrade the NAS OS/firmware to work with Windows 10 (assuming it does not work with no modification). I had this happen to me with my first dual drive RAID 1 NAS. It was a LaCie RAID NAS that I used with my Macs. When a when Lion (Mac OS X 10.7) came out (I believe it was that OS version), they decided to no longer support it and not upgarde the NAS' firmware/OS to be compatible with Lion even though that NAS was released like 3 or 4 years before. As a result, I don't buy LaCie products anymore. I have not had the problem with the ReadyNAS line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users