Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system32\hal.dll

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 graypants

graypants

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:00 PM

I hope this the right place to ask this.  Maybe someone will know how to fix it.

I have a HP Compaq Pro 6300, model # d8c62ut - it runs 64 bit Windows 7 - HP is something, they have the harddrive with a MBR partition on a EFI system.

At start up I get an error message, black screan, saying that <Windows root>system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt, and that is it, Windows will not load.

At start up I have, before getting the error message, pressed the F8 key and get into that system but all it talks about is Windows XP.  The ESC key is the same, for XP. 

When I got the PC 2 years ago I made the backup USB thumb drive as HP said to do (disks did not come with the PC).  Now, when trying to use it I get the message is that it is only for GPT systems and will not load.  Thanks HP.

I have searched the net and no one knows how to fix it or really what I am talking about.  And to top it off HP wants $100 for an hour to "try" to help.  I am hoping that one of you know just what to do to fix it.

Please help.

Edited by graypants, 30 January 2015 - 04:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:25 PM

Hal.dll is the hardware abstraction layer driver that communicates the hardware setup to the operating system. When you install Windows there several versions of this driver that the installer chooses the right one for your hardware. Basically, it is unfixable without re-installing your OS.

But...

You do not need to do a fresh install. You can do an "in place" install that will re-install Windows around your other applications and data. You will need your factory disks to do this, or if your machine has an activation key printed on a sticker you can use that with a standard win installer DVD.

More info on in place install here

PS: I just chose that link off the bat, if you Google "in place install" you can find more info if you require.

TsVk!

Edited by TsVk!, 30 January 2015 - 08:26 PM.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:56 PM

As you mentioned disks did not come with the PC I suggest you ask HP for some... might cost you 10 bucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users