Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Factory Reset

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 TheHappyOne

TheHappyOne

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:46 PM

Hi everyone,

I have had to do a factory reset on my PC, My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium.                                     PROCESSOR: AMD E 350 PROCESSOR 1.60 GHZ

RAM: 4.00 GB (350 USABLE)

SYSTEM TYPE: 64-BIT OPERATING SYSTEM

I would like ALL FREE software to help me stay safe and clean and yes I know common sense will help me safe and clean. :)

At the moment I have Bitdefender Antivirus FREE installed and I would like to know if I could also add the following:

1. Malwarebytes FREE Antimalware?

2. CCleaner?

3. Add Block Plus?

4. Heimdal Free (Heimdal Free is a program that scans your computer for outdated and possibly vulnerable programs and automatically updates them to the latest version for you.)

5. Last but not least FREE SpywareBlaster?

Thank you in advance for your help, advice and comments, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind Regards

TheHappyOne :) 

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2015 - 09:36 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:52 PM

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free: Certainly yes. MBAM Free is an effective on-demand scanner and also adept at removing malware. Just remember to run a scan regularly, as the free version do not offer real-time protection and automatic scanning.

2. CCleaner: Yes. Don't use the Registry Cleaner option, though.

3. Adblock Plus: Yes. If you use Chrome however then I recommend uBlock, which is less resource intensive than Adblock Plus.

4. Heimdal Free: I prefer Secunia PSI, as Secunia scans everything - Heimdal doesn't.

5. SpywareBlaster Free: Yes.

Hope this helps :)

Regards,
Alex

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:53 PM

I would add Noscript Plugin to those programs. It takes awhile to learn which scripts to allow but it can help against getting infrected. Bitdefender Free is an excellent choice. You may want to also install HitmanPro Alert 2.

How to protect yourself

Nearly all banking Trojans hook into the core operating system and relay critical system functions to position themselves between Windows and the web browser. This enables them to steal information and manipulate your online transactions.

HitmanPro.Alert will instantly detect over 99% of all known and new banking Trojans. It automatically informs users when critical system functions are diverted to untrusted programs. It effectively reveals the presence of any so called Man-in-the-Browser malware and offers the user to automatically download and scan their computer with HitmanPro anti-malware to immediately remove the security threat.

Vaccination

Most modern malware, including banking Trojans, use tricks to thwart malware research by avoiding debugging and automated analysis systems that can reveal its purpose. The vaccination feature in HitmanPro.Alert 2 makes easy use of the malware’s own tricks. It makes malware belief it is running in an unwanted research environment, automatically causing most sandbox-aware malware to disable itself.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:38 PM

More is not better.  You can also have these programs conflict with each other.  These can also stay in memory reducing how much ram is available to the system.  Keep up on all OS and program patches, be behind a router, do regular backups/different systems for stored data and practice safe computing is your best way of keeping yourself safe.  Bitdefender is one of the best rated least intrusive programs out there.

#5 TheHappyOne

TheHappyOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:42 PM

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free: Certainly yes. MBAM Free is an effective on-demand scanner and also adept at removing malware. Just remember to run a scan regularly, as the free version do not offer real-time protection and automatic scanning.

2. CCleaner: Yes. Don't use the Registry Cleaner option, though.

3. Adblock Plus: Yes. If you use Chrome however then I recommend uBlock, which is less resource intensive than Adblock Plus.

4. Heimdal Free: I prefer Secunia PSI, as Secunia scans everything - Heimdal doesn't.

5. SpywareBlaster Free: Yes.

Hope this helps :)

Regards,
Alex

Hi Alex,

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate your help.

Please could you kindly let me know if you have to give Secunia your name and email address before you can download and install it?

I ask this question because when I click on download I have to give my name and email address before I can download it. :)

You have helped a lot thanks.

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:18 PM

More is not better.  You can also have these programs conflict with each other.  These can also stay in memory reducing how much ram is available to the system.  Keep up on all OS and program patches, be behind a router, do regular backups/different systems for stored data and practice safe computing is your best way of keeping yourself safe.  Bitdefender is one of the best rated least intrusive programs out there.

Let me clarify exactly what those programs do, my friend.

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free:

- Is an on-demand only scanner - which means that it only allows the use of manual scanning, and is not resident.

- Resources are only consumed when it performs a scan.

- MBAM is perfectly compatible with all AV solutions - I run Kaspersky Endpoint Security with MBAM Premium (which offers real time protection) and my machine's fine :)

2. CCleaner:

- Is a cleaning utility used to clear out temporary files, browsing history etc. (anything but the registry - don't touch that.)

- Has a monitoring function, but this can be disabled and does not consume a lot of resources.

- Does not conflict with any software.

3. Adblock Plus:

- Is a browser addon that blocks advertisements (as the name suggests).

- Only consumes resources when you open a browser.

4. Secunia PSI:

- Is a standalone tool that scans the machine for any possible outdated applications and assists the user in updating them.

- Is resident, but this can be disabled and does not consume a lot of resources.

- Does not conflict with any programs, as far as I know.

5. SpywareBlaster Free: You may want to read about the product here :)

Basically it's a tool that passively protects your browsers by preventing you from accessing known malicious websites - thus its footprint is very small, and the program does not conflict with other software (AVs included).

Hi Alex,

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate your help.

Please could you kindly let me know if you have to give Secunia your name and email address before you can download and install it?

I ask this question because when I click on download I have to give my name and email address before I can download it. :)

You can download Secunia PSI from BC here.

Stay safe, surf safe!

Regards,
Alex

#7 TheHappyOne

TheHappyOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:53 AM

Hi ,

I would like to apologize for not thanking you sooner for all your help and advice, I really appreciate it very much.

Regards

#8 TheHappyOne

TheHappyOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:04 AM

Hi Alex,

I would like to say thank you for your help and advice, my PC is now running sweet and smooth.:)

One Tool I forgot to add to my list was FREE Defraggler,what is your opinion on this tool?

Would you use this and would you have this in your tool kit?

Thanks again and hope to hear from you regarding the above soon. :)

Kind Regards

#9 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:28 AM

Hello there TheHappyOne :)

One Tool I forgot to add to my list was FREE Defraggler,what is your opinion on this tool?

Yes, I certainly recommend using Defraggler for defragmenting your hard drive. I use it myself also.

If you surf the web and use Flash/Java/Silverlight, I have one extra recommendation for you: Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. Software exploits have become terribly commonplace these days, and MBAE will help keep you safe.

Regards,
Alex

#10 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:55 AM

The best thing you can do is make regular backups of your computer.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 04:50 PM

...One Tool I forgot to add to my list was FREE Defraggler,what is your opinion on this tool?

It is unnecessary as you can use Window's built-in defrag utility.

How to Defrag in Windows 7 and Vista
How to Defrag: Prepare Your Computer for Defragmentation
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:24 AM

The best thing you can do is make regular backups of your computer.

Agreed!

The second best thing you can do is run NoScript browser extension in firefox and use this for all browsing.
The third best thing you can do is keep everything as up-to-date as you dare, especially browsers and plugins.
The fourth best thing is to have second opinion scanners as well as your main antivirus.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:42 PM

The second best thing you can do is run NoScript browser extension in firefox and use this for all browsing.

Once again, that is an opinion and not necessary for those who prefer other browsers.

#14 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:43 PM

I believe there are NoScript equivalents for chrome, maybe there are for IE. Either way running it in firefox, or an equivalent in another browser is a sensible thing to do. In my previous post i wasn't trying to go over the old "battle of the browsers" i was just meaning NoScript itself only works within firefox, if you can find an equivalent for another browser which you prefer: keep on using that. It is generally best to use, for almost everything, whichever browser you put your choice of script blocking extension into, just because drive-bys can strike anywhere, including adverts on large reputable news sites. In my opinion the only time you should use a browser which doesn't have a script blocking extension of some kind is when you are visiting trusted sites which don't display adverts and which don't function properly in the browser where script blocking is enabled.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:04 PM

And that's all fine. It's the way you are presenting it to folks in the various topics you reply to. You are essentially saying they need to use Firefox with NoScript for all their browsing or face infection when that is not the case. You can express this as an opinion/suggestion which works for you rather than telling folks they need to use it instead of Internet Explorer or some other browser. I prefer Firefox myself but primarily for it's features, functionality and ease of use. Others prefer Opera or Chrome for similar reasons. Further, I don't particularly care for NoScript so I don't use it. Firefox users can try it and decide for themselves if they like that particular add-on. I don't see using it as a requirement but an option among many other things user can choose from for added protection..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users