Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows will not shut down (and other problems)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MacFall

MacFall

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:56 PM

Whenever I try to restart or shut down Windows, it gets stuck interminably on either "logging off" or "shutting down".

Because of this I have not been able to do a healthy boot for months, which has (I think) stopped me from solving other problems, such as:

1. an inability to install, modify, or uninstall some programs (including anything having to do with Java) because the Windows Install service doesn't work
  2. updating Windows so that my drivers work, because currently I can't do anything with external or virtual drives
  3. running any Microsoft repair utilities

I've tried running the antivirus/antimalware regimens prescribed on this site and others. Nothing turned up. I've also tried a clean boot, but it doesn't help—possibly because it's a Windows service that is at fault, but I don't know about disabling any of those safely.

Edited by MacFall, 30 January 2015 - 02:58 PM.

No king but Christ; no law but Liberty.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:42 PM

Seems like there might be some file corruption with Windows... though I have never encountered this, I would try

From an elevated command prompt

sfc /scannow

then once the scan and fix has finished

shutdown -r

Also in the command prompt. The machine will restart.

Better now?

Edited by TsVk!, 30 January 2015 - 08:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users