Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grr... Students

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 ireallyamjamie

ireallyamjamie

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:12 PM

I have a computer from a student use lab on my work table that has been outfitted with what I'm guessing is a BIOS password. After a cold power on, it will boot to the ASUS screen, then say Windows is loading, then the monitor drops for a second and I get a black screen with a blue box asking for a password. After three tries, you cannot type any more passwords without restarting the computer. I've gone into the BIOS settings and nothing is showing that there is a password set. I've even tried setting a password. Moving the jumper and removing the CMOS battery also don't help. I'm at a loss and afraid I have a brick for a computer now. Is there anything else I can try at all?

The computer is from a local vender - NOBILIS I370R2

The motherboard - ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM R2.0

OS - Windows 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:24 PM

Hello, and Welcome,

After three failed tries does the screen throw an Alpha Numeric or Numeric code?

Download the Motherboard Manual here. See page 1-24 for clearing CMOS settings with the jumper. Set the BIOS back to default at next boot.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 January 2015 - 02:30 PM.

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:30 PM

Honestly this sounds like malware .. since when does a cmos bios password keep you from getting into the OS?

The bios password is just that.. a password to get INTO the bios.  Not into the computer.  Unless something has changed or some third party software has been installed to block the OS from loading.  I know there is software out there that will do this.  Did the student install some software or do you think they got infected with malware?

Maybe a screenshot of what you see will give us a better idea of how to proceed.

#4 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:07 AM

Honestly this sounds like malware .. since when does a cmos bios password keep you from getting into the OS?

The bios password is just that.. a password to get INTO the bios.  Not into the computer.  Unless something has changed or some third party software has been installed to block the OS from loading.  I know there is software out there that will do this.  Did the student install some software or do you think they got infected with malware?

Maybe a screenshot of what you see will give us a better idea of how to proceed.

I had the same idea. Some BIOSes will let you set a password for booting an OS but I expect you'd see the password prompt before seeing the Windows logo and 'starting windows' message. ireallyamjamie, what happens if you start Windows in Safe mode? Maybe try downloading an ISO of Kaspersky Rescue Disk, burn it to a cd, and boot the computer using the cd. Even if Kaspesky doesn't find malware (this seems like a joke program/malware and I'm not sure Kaspersky detects those), if the computer can boot an operating system by using the cd and you're not asked for a password, then you'll know the password prompt you're seeing has nothing to do with the BIOS.

Edited by Windont, 31 January 2015 - 02:09 AM.

#5 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:27 PM

Try to boot the machine from a CD, DVD, flash drive or other external bootable media. If successful; the hard drive is passwoed protected. If that be the case, another hard drive and a new install will be the only option... unless someone can come up with the current password.

Edit: Errrrrr... not the only option; but maybe the easiest.

Edited by bludgard, 31 January 2015 - 07:28 PM.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:57 AM

Try to boot the machine from a CD, DVD, flash drive or other external bootable media. If successful; the hard drive is passwoed protected. If that be the case, another hard drive and a new install will be the only option... unless someone can come up with the current password.

Why would they need another hard drive?  I agree with the part about new install but if the hard drive is ' locked ' by some kind of malware you can certianly post in the Am I infected what do I do section of these forums and get some help from malware pros.

#7 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:03 AM

ireallyamjamie: ".. black screen with a blue box .."

That sounds like a BIOS password prompt. I have an ASUS motherboard and set a password for booting the OS. The password prompt looks like your description. However, if there is a BIOS password on your computer then I'm not sure why you're seeing the Windows loading message before the password prompt. On my computer I see the BIOS password prompt for booting the OS before Windows does anything. Also, not sure why clearing the CMOS didn't help you. A BIOS password would've been cleared by doing that.

Edited by Windont, 01 February 2015 - 11:33 AM.

#8 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:28 AM

Why would they need another hard drive?  I agree with the part about new install but if the hard drive is ' locked ' by some kind of malware you can certianly post in the Am I infected what do I do section of these forums and get some help from malware pros.

Nah: Setting a HDD password is a feature of many a BIOS.

If one can reach the BIOS at all; it is not a BIOS password.

If it is malware related: By all means post in the malware forum. How will they access the drive if it is not accessible? That is why I suggested bootable media.

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:03 PM

I'd give the hardware reset another try.  One trick is to short the positive and negative terminals of the CMOS battery holder.  This will discharge any capacitors that were holding things in memory.  That should clear everything including any BIOS password.  It also forces the BIOS to load from firmware and NOT any flash chips if part of your system.

#10 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:34 PM

HDDs do have their own controllers that are sovereign and no access will be granted without secret password. Some progs purport the removal of said pswrds, but I personally have not found a reliable option.
Plug the drive into another machine by USB interface or slap it in another desktop and see if one can access the data thereon....
Same as booting from external media.
http://www.howtogeek.com/186881/hard-disk-passwords-explained-should-you-set-one-to-secure-your-files/

Edit: Really interested in the outcome of this thread. Hope OP comes back to update. May be the only forum I know where the participants are more anxious for replies than the OP. lol

Edited by bludgard, 01 February 2015 - 03:38 PM.

#11 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:35 PM

Since you can get to the windows load screen. What happens if you try to boot in safe mode?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#12 ireallyamjamie

ireallyamjamie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:10 AM

Hello, and Welcome,

After three failed tries does the screen throw an Alpha Numeric or Numeric code?

Download the Motherboard Manual here. See page 1-24 for clearing CMOS settings with the jumper. Set the BIOS back to default at next boot.

Sadly, JohnC_21, there's no codes at all after the failed tries. Thanks for the manual link though. I'd already tried those suggestions though.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:16 AM

Can you post a screenshot of the blue box as YeahBleeping suggested?

#14 ireallyamjamie

ireallyamjamie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:17 AM

I'm leaning more toward this idea. Unfortunately, I have no clue what the student may or may not have been doing. Sadly, this is from a poorly managed lab class, and I'm only called when the Technology Coach in the building can't get things up and going. Here's a screen shot of the password prompt though.

IMG_0451.JPG

#15 ireallyamjamie

ireallyamjamie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:20 AM

I'd give the hardware reset another try.  One trick is to short the positive and negative terminals of the CMOS battery holder.  This will discharge any capacitors that were holding things in memory.  That should clear everything including any BIOS password.  It also forces the BIOS to load from firmware and NOT any flash chips if part of your system.

Yeah, that didn't work. Thanks though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users