Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Define prompt before apps make changes e.g. Startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 beejabee

beejabee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:59 PM

Programs, in general, have removed the prompt for a customization option e.g. "Add to Start Menu."  Consequently, many programs change Personalizations which are either noticed post-install or creep up due to performance issues.  Firefox updates are also culprits i.e. change my profile by modifying the toolbar.  I'm looking to at least prompt to avoid these surprises post-installation.  Ideally, I'd prefer to restrict applications from summarily adding to the start menu or placing an icon on the desktop or adding to the taskbar, etc.  The online documents I've seen refer to removal after changes are made, but I want to pre-empt this "take-over." 

I'm a Win 7 32 bit recent recruit and a formal comfortable Win XPer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:02 PM

IMO...unless you have access to the installation routine used by the specific program developer...your only alternative to control what is installed is to read carefully options provided.

Browsers vary in what they install without permission...installing any toolbar is just asking for trouble, IMO, which is why I prefer IE over other browsers.

XP is no different than any other version of Windows in that respect, IMO.  XP does not provide those options, they are inherent in the specific program install routines, IMO.

Louis

#3 beejabee

beejabee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:56 AM

Thanks for your response.  Seems I'll just have to expect the unexpected - Grrr!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users