Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 update problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Miker2808

Miker2808

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:12 PM

Hello,

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit (purchased, not downloaded)

and i today formatted and reinstalled the windows, i want to know how can i download all the updates at once?, because downloading them slowly one by one is taking very long time.

hope you can help me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

Downloading a bunch of updates can be problematic, but to download all of the updates at one time could be disastrous.  Aside from this, I don't know of any way to download all of the updates at once.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:00 PM

Hi Miker :)

Unfortunately, you won't be able to download "all the updates" at once. What's going to happen is that when you'll check for updates manually, a bunch of them will be found (easily over 150), and we're only talking about the Important Updates for now, the Recommended/Optional Updates can be left aside. Then once you'll be done installing them and you'll restart your system, you'll check for updates again manually and more will be found. And this will happen 3-4 times. The reason being that some updates can only be found/installed when other are presents on the system, and we call them "prerequisite". What I suggest you to do is to plug your computer with an Ethernet cable to be on a wired connection (more stable than the WiFi), then start the download/install of Windows Updates and leave the computer, don't use it. Once they are all installed, restart your computer. Repeat the process until no more Windows Updates are found when clicking on the Check for updates option.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Miker2808

Miker2808
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:05 AM

If i cannot update my Windows at once, what is this Service Pack?

Edited by Miker2808, 31 January 2015 - 02:06 AM.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:57 AM

Service Pack is a bundle of updates, fixes and patches delivered all at once on a system/program. They are usually "made" and distributed when the number of updates to apply to a system or program is way too big. Windows 7 have one Service Pack, SP1 that you should install as it includes a lot of vulnerability fix and makes your Windows more secure. Install it as soon as it shows up in Windows Updates.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:55 AM

Just to add, it is best to use Windows update for installing your updates. As some updates are required to be installed in a certain order, the reason being is some updates are depended on other system files being on the machine.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,791 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:30 AM

Miker2808

To shorten this process in the future may I suggest that after you install Windows and and activate it do all the updates, Then you clone/image your HDD. Kind of like slipstreaming an install. Make sure all your drivers are installed you can even install office, Saves lots of time if you ever need to format again. Also back up's are important.

I use Linux so reinstalling the Operating System is not as painful as a Windows reinstall, Yet I always have a clone/image of my system that is no more than 1 month old, I am sure Windows users can advise you on how to do this.

Back in my Windows days I used Norton Ghost.

Please note I am not suggesting or endorsing this product.

Edited by NickAu, 02 February 2015 - 03:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users