Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on NAS for home.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jushcomb68

jushcomb68

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:20 AM

Hello all,

I recently purchased a new router to replace my old and failing Linksys router.  The model I have is a TP-Link C8 1750AC dual band, with two USB ports, one 2.0 and one 3.0 alongside it's 4 ethernet ports.  I am looking for adding storage to the router for filesharing and video/audio streaming purposes, to any of our devices.  We have two laptops, two tablets, two smartphones, a Samsung smart TV and an XBox 360 all on the network.  I would like to be able to stream stored movies and audio files to my TV or smart devices.  Is there anyone who can suggest a good portable storage drive, or inexpensive NAS drive?  Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:52 AM

If you are thinking about using a portable hard drive with one of the USB ports, you might want to double check that the USB ports supply enough power to actually power a portable (aka "USB bus powered" or gets power from the USB port) hard drive. I would assume that it would, but I would say it is still a good idea to double check.

Or you can just get a "desktop" USB drive (i.e. one that has its own power source). Since it will be sitting there connected to the router all the time, there is no need for it to be a portable hard drive. Plus, you tend to get more "bang for you buck" (i.e. larger capacity drive for less money) with desktop hard drives.

If you consider a NAS, personally I tend to recommend either Netgear's ReadyNAS line, a Synology NAS, or a QNAP NAS. This assumes you want at least a dual drive (or greater NAS). If you are just considering a single drive NAS, then I would likely say it is better to just use the USB port with the desktop drive unless the router does not offer some feature that an NAS drive would offer that you want.

#3 jushcomb68

jushcomb68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:54 AM

I tried to hook up my Seagate 1TB with USB 3.0 to the router, and my laptops could find the drive just fine, but I could not get the videos to play on my tv unless I streamed them from my laptop, or installed a virtual media server, Mezzmo, which turned out to be unstable and kept dropping off.  I have heard that most NAS units have the capability for a smart tv to stream from them?

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:59 AM

Yes, most NAS devices support DLNA, which your SmartTV also likely supports.

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS and it support DLNA.

Keep in mind that this assumes the video/audio does not have some sort of copy protection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users