Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

removing virus with command prompt

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mr_pickls69

mr_pickls69

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:50 AM

Hello  i watched a video on youtube on how to find and delete malware/viruses through the command prompt.  they say to to to the c:\ directory and type in attrib and when the files show up to look for any files that have the extension of .inf or .exe and to delete those because those shouldnt belong in the C:\ directory. When i did mine i came up with what is shown in the attached thumbnail.

should i delete the C:\install.exe and the C:\install.ini  ?

Edited by mr_pickls69, 30 January 2015 - 07:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:30 AM

Hello,
Following this advice without knowing what these files actually are, is a very bad idea. If you think your computer is infected, please let me know what problems you are encountering so we can have a look at it.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 mr_pickls69

mr_pickls69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:18 PM

I dont think my computer is infected, im just trying to learn, alternative ways of removing malware/viruses, and i came across this video on youtube. If there is another way of removing malware/viruses, besides doing all the scans with malware bytes and other software, please let me know.  thankyou for your response.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:53 PM

Listen to Elise - she has forgotten more about malware than most of us get to know.

Just for your information, EVERY application you have installed on your computer has at least one .EXE file in it, this is the file that runs it. If you delete .EXE files, then -

Windows stops working

Office stops working

Your video output stops working

Your mouse and keyboard stop working

Everything stops working    -  need I go on ?

Unhappily no, the only easy way to not get malware infection is to have good security installed, to use it and to practice 'safe surfing'. And if you do get infected - and it can happen to the best of us - getting rid of it involves work.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Johnny Computer

Johnny Computer

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,739 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:39 PM

If you're interested in learning about malware removal techniques and how to use specialized fix tools like DDS, Zoek, RSIT, OTL, ComboFix, FRST, GMER, etc is something you are interested in, please read BleepingComputer's Malware Removal Training Program.

The above link explains how to apply and what is required. If there are no slots available, you will have to keep checking back at a later time. We are swamped with such requests and there are not enough instructors able to provide teaching so that limits the number of trainees we can accept.

Due to the self-paced structure of training and limited number of instructors here at BC, it is impossible to say with any accuracy when slots will open. New slots are opened up as our existing trainees complete the lower levels of study and move up toward more advanced levels. This is to prevent our volunteer staff being overwhelmed by an influx of new trainees. There is no notification system in place for when slots open so you need to keeping checking back if BC Study Hall is the school you prefer to enroll in. The logistics and management of such a notification system and the fact we have a worldwide membership negate the potential effectiveness and fairness one would expect from it.

If you don't want to wait for an opening here at BleepingComputer, please be aware that training in malware removal is conducted at various other online Unite Schools to include:

avatar591802_2.gif"DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users