Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Start Up Problems.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 11bink11

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:22 AM

When i startup my windows XP desktop does not come on so i have to navigate everything from the task manager.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:34 PM

I assume that you mean that your Start button and taskbar are gone, as well as your desktop icons.

I think that the first thing I would do is to use task manager to start a new task and type

. . . and then in the DOS emulator that pops up, type

sfc /scannow

. . . At this point, it would be good to have your XP disk in the drive if you have one. Don't miss the space between the sfc and the /scannow.

If it replaces any files and the system starts normally, you're very lucky.

Also, if that doesn't work, start the new task and type

. . . and then OK to see if it does anything. If nothing, then try this: again using task manager, type in cmd again and then from the command line type (or copy and paste this into the window):

copy /y "c:\windows\system32\dllcache\explorer.exe" "c:\windows"

. . . just like that and hit enter. Restart normally and see if it worked.

Let us know what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users