Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my modem too old?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SylarZero

SylarZero

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:12 AM

My internet has been shaky tonight, which is a bit unusual.  So I called Verizon, and they said the problem was my modem, and that i needed a new one.   They're sending me one for free, so I can't complain.  But I'm adverse to change.  In a very bad way.  

The modem I have is 12 years old.  Not sure how long a modem should last, but is it likely that it's the problem?  I mean obviously right now I'm on the internet.  Though I've been knocked off once while typing this post.   The modem is a Westell Wirespeed 2100.  It's been fairly reliable over the years.

How often should one change modems?  I've always heard different things.  Some people say every 5 years, others say changing modems isn't necessary unless the modem doesn't work anymore.  Is the modem likely the source of my problems?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:39 AM

SylarZero: "Some people say every 5 years, ..."

Why?

"... others say changing modems isn't necessary unless the modem doesn't work anymore. .."

That makes more sense to me. If it is working like it should then don't change it. However, for the customer, can be difficult to identify the modem is the problem when it doesn't work like it should and can involve repeat calls to support. If reducing the chances of having a bad modem and reducing the chances of service interruption is important to you and you think buying a new modem every few years is worth the money for the possibility of less service interruption then you can buy a new modem every few years. Since Verizon is sending you a free replacement I guess you're renting the modem.

" ..Is the modem likely the source of my problems?"

Might not be the problem. If the problem is the modem or not might not always be clear to Internet provider techs. However replacing the modem might help if there are problems and the Internet provider's systems outside of your home are ok.

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:02 AM

My internet has been shaky tonight, which is a bit unusual.  So I called Verizon, and they said the problem was my modem, and that i needed a new one.   They're sending me one for free, so I can't complain.  But I'm adverse to change.  In a very bad way.  

The modem I have is 12 years old.  Not sure how long a modem should last, but is it likely that it's the problem?  I mean obviously right now I'm on the internet.  Though I've been knocked off once while typing this post.   The modem is a Westell Wirespeed 2100.  It's been fairly reliable over the years.

How often should one change modems?  I've always heard different things.  Some people say every 5 years, others say changing modems isn't necessary unless the modem doesn't work anymore.  Is the modem likely the source of my problems?

If your modem is 12 years old you should probably replace it. The technology has come a long way since then,and since you are having trouble with it ,and Verizon is sending you a new one for free, I would go ahead and upgrade to a new model.Modems do wear out,as well as routers.I am surprised it is working at all after 12 years!

#4 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:04 AM

If your modem is 12 years old you should probably replace it. The technology has come a long way since then,and since you are having trouble with it ,and Verizon is sending you a new one for free, I would go ahead and upgrade to a new model.Modems do wear out,as well as routers.I am surprised it is working at all after 12 years!

You could also try upgrading your firmware- directions can be found here http://www2.verizon.net/help/westell_upgrade/westell2110.asp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users