Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Restarts Explorer on Manual Select Updates Only

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Billy_Parts

Billy_Parts

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:22 PM

HP Quad core machine with 4 Gbytes DDR 667 RAM, running 32-bit Win7 Professional.  GT9500 video card and a poor-quality power supply.

The primary problem is that when I run Windows Updates, and am presented with a choice to "automatically" download and install the presented updates "Important" and "Optional", if I simply press the "Install Updates" button, everything seems to work normally.  Some updates download and install, but apparantly some do not, because if I press either or the updates (Important, or Optional), Windows Updates freezes, Explorer.exe crashes, restarts, all the running programs appear just like they were before the restart and Windows Updates is closed.

This will repeat infinitely.  Every time I click either "Important" or "Optional", Explorer restarts.

I run every diagnostic I can think of.

Ran sfc /scannow and it seems to close normally indicating that the files are all legit, but I have not actually seen the log to confirm this.  I've run numerous rootkit detection utilities, Farbar, Hijack this, etc... Autoruns and cannot find any kind of entry point.  Ran Hitman Pro, Eset online scanner, Housecall online scanner and other than a few minor "PUP"s, no significant malware has been found.

This whole thing started when I tried to install Visual Studio Community Edition 2013 (the free one, found online), and it refused to install properly despite numerous repairs and reinstalls.  A standalone copy of Visual Studio Express (ISO mounted and ran locally) has the exact same failures.  Key registry entries showing the path the the .exe file(s) are missing.  Other than that, I seem to have no other symptoms.  No pop-ups, redirects, unusually long delays, CPU usage or memory spikes, nothing that indicates infection.  Which makes me wonder if it is some kind of keylogger, doing surveillance (recording) only?  Not sure.

I can't imagine why a malware would interfere with a Visual Studio.  Windows Updates makes more sense.  My guess is that there is a security fix that would patch the hole that the malware wants to prevent from installing, but why interfere with Visual Studio?

So that's it.  Windows Update and something to do with Visual Basic.  Any help appreciated and thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy_Parts

Billy_Parts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:00 AM

Can I bump if I've fallen off page 1?

#3 Billy_Parts

Billy_Parts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:17 PM

Please let me know what I can do to help myself, and thank you in advance.

Edited by Billy_Parts, 03 February 2015 - 10:39 AM.

#4 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:19 PM

Is your source for Visual Studio Community Edition 2013 legit? Where was it downloaded from?
(in the current situation, i cannot help you over infection issues. To notify your trouble of being unhelped, use 'report')
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:01 PM

Merged posts
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Billy_Parts

Billy_Parts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:31 PM

Is your source for Visual Studio Community Edition 2013 legit? Where was it downloaded from?
(in the current situation, i cannot help you over infection issues. To notify your trouble of being unhelped, use 'report')

Visual Studio Community Edition 2013 is currently uninstalled, but came from here:

http://www.visualstudio.com/

After that failed, I found and installed a standalone, ISO version from here:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/DownloadVisualStudioExpress.aspx

Mounted using "Magic Disk" and installed.  Seemed to be successful, but still has the same symptoms as the online version.  Initial splash screen, then nothing.  Pathnames missing from the SQLServer and SQLServerHelper services.

Please let me know what else I can do.

#7 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:45 PM

Hi,
can you please check your Windows event viewer and report the errors logged there, related to explorer.exe as well as visual studio?
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#8 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:46 PM

Please check if the machine config is equal or above listed at http://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-professional-with-msdn-vs#Fragment_SystemRequirements

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 02 February 2015 - 10:50 PM.

#9 Billy_Parts

Billy_Parts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:09 AM

Please check if the machine config is equal or above listed at http://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-professional-with-msdn-vs#Fragment_SystemRequirements

The system exceeds the hardware requirements, (CPU, RAM, Hard Drive (space and speed), Video Card, Internet Explorer 11, etc...) but under "Additional Requirements", Visual Studio claims:

• KB2883200 (available through Windows Update) is required

But I curently have a problem with my Windows Update, so maybe the two problems (Visual Studio and Windows Update) are related?   I browse to find a manual, "standalone" update for KB2883200 and it says that update only applies to Windows 8.  I have Windows 7.

If Visual Studio requires KB2883200, and KB2883200 only applies to Windows 8, does that mean that Visual Studio will not work on Windows 7 ?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2883200

Could all of this be related?  Windows Update causing Explorer to crash and restart, and Visual Studio refusing to install correctly?  I find it hard to believe that Visual Studio will not work with Windows 7, but have no other explanation for the problems.

Also, I found this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25269679/how-to-install-visual-studio-2013-ultimate-on-windows-7-32-bit

The last post claims to have found a solution to the problem of installing Visual Studio on a Windows 7 machine that involves "advanced" level uninstallation using Revo Uninstaller.  I've done this several times, but never at the "advanced" level as I have concerns that it might break something critical.  Also in the link above, another post references the cause as possibly being due to Windows 7, Service Pack 1 not being installed.  My Computer>Properties claims that I have Service Pack 1 installed, but I've run "sfc /scannow" several times and I wonder if it's possible that sfc has rolled my System Files back to pre-Service Pack 1 status.  So, another idea I have is to reinstall Service Pack 1 on the chance that it might fix something, but since Windows Update is broken, I'll need a standalone installer for Win7, SP1 (if there is one).

I haven't done either of these things (or anything else).  Instead I will wait to be told what to do.  Thanks for your help.

#10 Billy_Parts

Billy_Parts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:27 AM

• KB2883200 (available through Windows Update) is required

As an experiment, I downloaded and attempted to install the standalone version of KB2883200 on my Windows 7 (32-bit) machine, and was given the error:

Windows Update Standalone Installer

The update is not applicable to your computer.

So that option is "out", FYI.

#11 Billy_Parts

Billy_Parts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:46 AM

Hi,
can you please check your Windows event viewer and report the errors logged there, related to explorer.exe as well as visual studio?

After running Windows Update, selecting either "important updates" or "optional updates" results in two errors in Event Viewer (see attached "Event Viewer Errors.txt".

Grr.  How do you attach text files to posts?

It says "press the button", but it doesn't say what button, what it looks like, where it is, etc...
Where's the "attachment" button?

EDIT***

Anyways, I uploaded the "Event Viewer Errors.txt" file to dropbox here:

Edited by Billy_Parts, 03 February 2015 - 11:59 AM.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:21 PM

Grr.  How do you attach text files to posts?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=help&do=01&HID=26&hl=attach

It says "press the button", but it doesn't say what button, what it looks like, where it is, etc...
Where's the "attachment" button?

Files cannot be attached here in Am I Infected.

You will need to copy the log results and paste them into a reply.

Attachments are allowed only certain forums.

For reference, here is a list of which sub-forums allow the use of attachments.

Operating Systems Forum
Windows 95/98/ME
Windows XP Home and Professional
Windows NT/2000/2003/2008
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8

Hardware Forum
Internal Hardware

Security Forum
Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

#13 Billy_Parts

Billy_Parts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:30 AM

Files cannot be attached here in Am I Infected.

You will need to copy the log results and paste them into a reply.

Thanks is a dropbox link good enough, or do I HAVE to past into the body? (I hate doing that.  It makes the whole thread unreadable.)

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:13 AM

Moved from AII to Win 7.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#15 Go The Power

Go The Power

• Members
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:02 AM

Hello,

Can you please provide the following folder, it will contain all the scans done by SFC.

Export CBS folder
  • Click the Start button StartButton_16x16.gif then click Computer.
  • Double-click on the C: drive, under the Hard Disk Drives category, and then scroll down to, and double click on the Windows folder.
  • Find and double click on the Logs folder.
  • Right-click on the CBS folder, and select Copy.
  • Go back to your Desktop, right-click on it, and select Paste. You should now see a copy of the CBS folder appear on your Desktop called CBS.
  • Right-click on this new folder, and navigate through Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • A new file, also called CBS (CBS.zip), but this time with a different icon, will be created.
  • Attach this to your next post please.
Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to you next post please upload via Dropbox or One Drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users