Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DIY Computer Kit

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Smolenski7

Smolenski7

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:56 PM

My soon to be 13 year old son would like to build his own computer.  I know enough about building a computer to know that I shouldn't even try, my son knows even less......which is why he is so confident that he can do it.  I don't want to discourage him, so I was wondering if there are good DIY Starter Kits on the market for people like my son. 

Does anyone know of any good kits that would be appropriate for a 13 year old boy who doesn't know what he doesn't know?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:16 PM

Honestly if you have not done this before and he has no one to guide him I wouldn't recommend it.  I realize there are plenty of guides on youtube and the web out there and .. it's really not that hard.  But are you willing to buy a new processor if ' ooops I bent a pin when i stuck it in the motherboard' now you need a new 200$ ish processor.  And darnit when I tried to get the processor in and bent the pins I cracked the motherboard thinking it should snap in like a lego.  Maybe if you can find a local computer store where he can ' intern for a week' learning from others.  I mean maybe your 13 year old is ' smart ' enough to get the job done.  But .. I wouldn't even let my 16 year old build a computer by himself for a first build.  I hate to be the party pooper here but my first gut instinct is ... Not a good idea.  Pc's (that I would build) cost around 800.00 and thats with no monitor alend no operating system.

Maybe check the local news paper for people that offer to build you a system and see if he can ' learn from them ' first.  But if you are not comfortable jumping into the idea.  I would say its maybe not a good idea... IMO

I'll never forget the time I got a call to check out a computer a guy built thinking he did everything right come to find out he squeezed a whole tube of arctic silver onto his chip so it ooozed out the sides and ended up shorting some capacitors and frying the motherboard.  And the processor.  boy was he not happy when I told him he needed some new equipment.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 29 January 2015 - 11:20 PM.

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:24 PM

Or the guy that used a drill and philips bit to tighten the screws down into his case and broke the mainboard right next to the case connectors then tried to hot glue gun it back thinking I wouldn't notice and telling me he's not sure whats wrong with it.

#4 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:37 AM

You could start with used parts or a very cheap build to gain experience. But what is the PC for and what is the budget, those will be the 2 most determining factors

Building is not that difficult, getting the right parts can be the most confusing part and where most guidance is needed in my experience

#5 Smolenski7

Smolenski7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:23 PM

Great responses, thanks.

Although I under your thoughts and don't necessarily disagree with you about not even starting, I want to encourage him on this and will be there to help every step of the way.  This is why I'm hoping that someone before me has already put together a "DIY Kit" for beginners.  If that isn't the case, maybe someone can lead me to a few good sources that my son and I could use to put something like this together.

As far as a budget, I really haven't thought that far ahead.  I do plan on this being his birthday present, and if need be he can contribute some cash to the cause.  I would like to see what is available before I make a budget decision.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:10 PM

Okay then as I said it was just my opinion and I totally understand you wanting to encourage him on his/and yours endeavors.  We then will at least need to know your budget and you can certainly go to places like pcpartspicker and put together a bundle of some kind that we can critique.

Grab some coffee filters and some laytex rubber gloves.  Remember to touch the power supply to ground yourself whenever your about to touch the computer and any components.

before sticking it in the case and doing all the wire harnessing / connection of usb/video card/onboard sound and lights/fans

Let me stress that BEFORE you put the system in the case place it on a a few blocks of wood and use the ONBOARD video (most all motherboards have them) to do a first setup test to make sure the system recognizes the cpu/memory/Hard drive. And gives you your POST screens.  Load performance defaults.  Navigate the bios and choose the cdrom as the first boot device and your hard drive as second (you can switch this back later) And make sure other devices is under the third boot device setting (just in case you need to do any USB booting)

DO NOT SET A BIOS PASSWORD> You do not need this for a home computer.

At this point only the memory CPU/heatsink fan (make sure you connect the fan lead to fan1 header as some systems will not boot if they do not detect a signal on the cpufan1 header.  And hard drive should be connected. (of course the power supply there are usually two connectors on boards these days for power.

Use a flathead screwdriver to 'short' the power on pins on the motherboard (or connect the powerbutton cable to the mainboard from the case AND the reset switch).

This simple test will allow you to determine if it should properly boot up when you get it all together.

Once placed inside the case -and if not then you may have a problem with grounding out or some other device failure.

Get 2 sticks of memory ! If you decided on 4 8 or 16 gigs of ram make sure its 2 sticks of said memory not one!!

Get a tube of Arctic silver heatsink compound. (NOT ADHESIVE)

Do not install the video card until AFTER you have a working windows environment with all the updates and installed all the drivers for your devices including the motherboard/chipset drivers.

Read the Manuals it could be all greek but you may remember reading something you can relate back to if you need to.

What are the coffee filters for? ~ When applying your heatsink to the cpu chip first put a small amount of arctic silver onto the heatsink base and use the coffee filter to gently rub it in all over the bottom of the heatsink (what does this do?) It will fill in any micro spaces naked to the eye with the compound meant to spread the heat across the heatsink.  And coffee filters dont leave any residue behind. (rub the compound back off completely) from the base of the heatsink as you will apply the compound directly to the top of the cpu as shown in the video above.

Feel Free to ask questions as you put the thing together!! Better safe than sorry right?  Good luck on your first build I hope it goes well.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 30 January 2015 - 11:19 PM.

#7 Smolenski7

Smolenski7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 10:03 PM

Thanks.  I will definitely refer to that post as we put everything together.

#8 Smolenski7

Smolenski7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:24 PM

So, here is what I put together.  Can someone please check it out just to make sure that everything is compatible?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KHdnK8

#9 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:25 AM

Well .. The first thing I noted is that the processor you chose is the FX model which includes the graphics processor .. but then you got a seperate video card and a motherboard with no onboard video.  So hmm not sure how to explain to you whats wrong with this picture unless you understand what I just said.  I also urge you to get a Intel ... I know .. AMD is cheaper but Intel is better.. it just is.  Sure you can stick with AMD if you wish.  But then you need to choose why your picking an FX chip with no onboard video on the motherboard.  Then I noted you got a wifi adapter.. are you wanting to use this computer via wifi?  Hard wired is much better. (for gaming anyway).

Since you did not give us your budget but you sorta did by showing us your parts list ... I will come up with a comparable one.

#10 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:26 AM

Man I tried to keep the price as low as I could for you but i just couldnt do less than this and be happy with saying ' This is good'

The build you suggested also only had one stick of memory so that woulda changed the price a little bit.  I also suggested win. 8.1 full version so you can upgrade to another mainboard in the future. OEM distrobutions are attatched to the motherboard so you cannot upgrade the motherboard without buying a new OS.  Although when win 10 comes out you can upgrade to that from 7+ for free.   But if you ever have to reload the OS you have a full version disc.

Maybe some other people will/can post thier suggestions.

#11 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:20 PM

Everything is compatible but i'd definitely switch out the ram to 2 sticks of 4gb and get this HIS radeon 7850 which is better and cheaper than the 750 ti you selected

The FX series do not have built in GPU's YeahBleeping get your facts straight 

OP thats a decent budget build

#12 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:20 AM

I apologize .. Your right diggi I was under the impression that the FX series was their verson of onboard video.  sorry OP. for misinformation.

#13 ChiefTech

ChiefTech

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:50 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/trXrnQ EDIT: Removed thermal paste and wifi adapter to show better comparison to the Intel build listed above. This build is faster and comes with an ssd and it's about 20 bucks cheaper than that i5 build.

That's the link that's gonna change your sons life forever. It's 20 bucks more than the Intel build already suggested and its an amd fx 6 core processor with 3.5Ghz a core. It has a 1 TB HDD and a 120GB SSD to be used for the system OS. It has a pretty decent graphics card and some pretty great ram for the price. That specific case already has a built in docking bay for the ssd drive as well as comes with a decent 480W power supply.

If that build is too much for you here is one that can be upgraded later that will be a great starting point. It's a quad core cpu I kept the mobo because if he wants to build on it that's the best amd board to use. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cpKmJx

You might also search Ebay for stand offs and screw kits for pc building as not all cases come with them.
Here's a kit I'm assuming he's gonna build more: http://m.ebay.com/itm/370604587688?nav=SEARCH

Also check out these which you will find come in handy as well. http://m.ebay.com/itm/371126121069?nav=SEARCH

You might also find it good to get some of these if your son is going to start building pcs and you might actually end up needing one for that build. They aren't necessary you can still plug a 4 into an 8 pin socket but it's not reccomened for if you want optimal power to cpu.
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16812189527

While Its not really a starter kit it's the best bang for the buck really. He's 13. At 13 I was building computers so I know it can be done. Before buying the parts he needs to research videos and the documentation out there on how to build computers. Also I would follow the guidelines that have already been suggested in this thread. Be sure to ground yourself before handling parts and be sure you use the standoffs properly and have them in the right positions. It can be very difficult to get in the wires used for the front panels power, reset and HDD light and can be confusing to some be sure to refer to documentation on how things get plugged in from the manual as well as research on the Internet on how and which order to do things and where to plug things in.

Edited by ChiefTech, 17 February 2015 - 09:30 PM.

#14 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:00 AM

Why on earth would you suggest an AMD build that is actually more than an intel build knowing the intel processors are faster and thus are more geared for a ' gaming rig ' ?

#15 ChiefTech

ChiefTech

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:19 AM

Why on earth would you suggest an AMD build that is actually more than an intel build knowing the intel processors are faster and thus are more geared for a ' gaming rig ' ?

Get your facts straight a 6 core 3.5Ghz CPU amd build will destroy a i5 3.0 Ghz Quad core. Not only that but it also has an ssd and a HDD included and has an amazing mobo. It's only more expensive because of that reason. EDIT:it was actually only more because it had extras

Edited by ChiefTech, 17 February 2015 - 09:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users