Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

usb ports both selectively working

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 billgs

billgs

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:53 PM

I have not been able to rely on my USB ports. I often need to transfer information from flash drives and/or portable hard drives but now I'm afraid my Windows 8 64 bit OS will make the changes it seems to selectively change. Most of the time the device manager will show the portable drive as just a letter- no data on size, data on drive. If I go to disk management the volumes on drive are not shown. If I select the option to "populate" it will show information that disappears when I take my finger of keyboard. Often the drive itself is re-formatted as RAW an extension I've never previously encountered. Then a get an error message stating that "Windows cannot read drive". Another issue that seems related

I have tried using Pandas USB anti-virus but that does not seem to help. The device manager has even formatted my DVD drive so that it does not appear in Computer Management nor Disk Management. Not sure if related but I also have problems with files/folders/even programs as "Read Only" by my not-so Trusted Installer.

When I download files programs B.C.they are saved in .htm  format with no executable programs. I have seen my anti-virus detect attempts to block a T.H named ARTEMIS along with a virus named ARTEMIS PORTAL  virus. Those programs that I manage to download often do not appear in my downloads folder and are found in Program Files (86).

This sounds a bit paranoid- as if I'm dealing with the HAL 9000 series. New user and apologies if the inclusion of more than 1 topic violates protocol. Thank you to whomever has any helpful answers.

Edited by billgs, 29 January 2015 - 10:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users