Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I prevent chkdsk from running on ramdrive at bootup?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:01 PM

I have 16GB of RAM in my system and I use 4GB of it to create a Ramdrive before Windows starts loading. I use this Ramdrive as the location for the swapfile to lessen the reads/writes to the SSD the OS is on. Occasionally during bootup, I get a screen showing chkdsk about to run on drive G: (my Ramdrive) Since the G: drive gets created new upon every boot of the system, I know there is nothing wrong with it.

I actually have a few questions about this:

You'll notice I said this happens occasionally. Probably only about 40% of the time. Is this a timing issue, or is Windows expecting to see something specific in the swapfile at times?

Is there a way to prevent chkdsk from running on a specific drive during boot? I don't want to prevent it on all drives, just the Ramdrive, G:

Is this even a good practice to do? As I understand it, this saves the SSD from excessive reads/writes and Trim/garbage collection functions, not to mention the Ramdrive being faster than the SSD.

Would it be a good idea to create another Ramdrive for the Windows Environment Variables TEMP & TMP? Or is there a compelling reason NOT to have these on a drive that disappears on every shutdown?

Thanks for your help

p.s.  My System:

ASUS Z97I-Plus

Core i5 3570K

250GB SSD

16GB RAM

Win7 Pro 64

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:46 PM

I would say that the consensus is that it is NOT a good idea to setup a ram drive for your page file regardless of how much ram you have in an attempt to ' save ' your SSD from reads/writes.

#3 PanickyD

PanickyD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:01 PM

@ YeahBleeping,

Thanks for the link. I read all 30 pages of the thread (skipping the arguing) and I must admit, that was one very informative read, and the subject was covered on every angle by some very knowledgeable people. I now know more about RAMdisks, swapfiles, and Windows Memory Management than I ever thought I would. After careful consideration, for my circumstances, I believe I am going to keep a swapfile on the RAMdisk, but shrink it considerably. I understand I will notice a negligible  performance increase, if any at all, and I by no means am expecting to be "extending RAM". As one person analogized, "You can't increase the storage capacity of a box by putting a smaller box inside it". I imagine there will be some disagreement with my decision, and I welcome the debate.

That being said, I return to the title of this topic. Is there a way to prevent chkdsk from running on a specific drive at boot?

Is there any advantage (even a small one) or disadvantage to placing the Windows Temp file on a Ramdisk?

Thanks again.

#4 PanickyD

PanickyD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:51 PM

OK, I just found the answer to my own question.

To disable chkdsk from running on a specific drive, open Command Prompt as Administrator and type chkntfs /x @:  (substitute the required drive letter for @)

I found some additional info about the temp files, but I'm still curious what the learned members here at BC have to say about it.

#5 D@nby

D@nby

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:10 PM

@ YeahBleeping,

Thanks for the link. I read all 30 pages of the thread (skipping the arguing) and I must admit, that was one very informative read, and the subject was covered on every angle by some very knowledgeable people. I now know more about RAMdisks, swapfiles, and Windows Memory Management than I ever thought I would. After careful consideration, for my circumstances, I believe I am going to keep a swapfile on the RAMdisk, but shrink it considerably. I understand I will notice a negligible  performance increase, if any at all, and I by no means am expecting to be "extending RAM". As one person analogized, "You can't increase the storage capacity of a box by putting a smaller box inside it". I imagine there will be some disagreement with my decision, and I welcome the debate.

That being said, I return to the title of this topic. Is there a way to prevent chkdsk from running on a specific drive at boot?

Is there any advantage (even a small one) or disadvantage to placing the Windows Temp file on a Ramdisk?

Thanks again.

Have you tried Autotuns?

There is also a an MSC snapin console

could also do to autoexec.bat or config.sys in safe mode

Just a few ideas

Best

#6 D@nby

D@nby

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:12 PM

OK, I just found the answer to my own question.

To disable chkdsk from running on a specific drive, open Command Prompt as Administrator and type chkntfs /x @:  (substitute the required drive letter for @)

I found some additional info about the temp files, but I'm still curious what the learned members here at BC have to say about it.

Good

@ YeahBleeping,

Thanks again.

Have you tried Autotuns?

There is also a an MSC snapin console

could also do to autoexec.bat or config.sys in safe mode

Just a few ideas

Best

Good old DOS !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users