Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Give Ubuntu A Try Without Diregarding Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 macbizz

macbizz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:35 AM

i downloaded Ubuntu to be able to try it out without having to disregard windows xp but when i try to open it my Roxio copying software comes on ....how can i get to explore Ubuntu with windows on the same computer.

Edited by macbizz, 24 June 2006 - 09:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:10 PM

Do you mean you want to run Ubuntu without unstalling windows?

If so, you'll have to get a live cd. Im sorry I dont have a Link to Ubuntu directly, But I do have several other linux distros that have Live cd capability.. They're not all that far off from each other, only minor difference you'll notice is the GUI.. The major differences come later with the system tweaks.. Anyway, runnling a live cd means that you burn the image to the disk, you restart your computer, and the OS runs off the cd, it never once touches your hard drive.. Its good for a portable OS, or for using it at work without leaving traces.

http://linuxiso.org/

Go here, not all of them have live CD capability. Try Knoppix..

#3 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:09 PM

hi macbizz
what you downloaded is probably an "iso" image. you will have to burn this to a cd before you can use it. which is why roxio opens when you click on the file. basically what you do is;
1. download the iso image of whatever linux distro
2. burn it to cd rom. make sure you select the right option in your burning software. it should say burn image or burn from image.
3. make sure your computer will boot from the cdrom drive then put the cd in and reboot.
4. ubuntu should boot up from the cdrom drive and never touch your hard drive or windows.
5. when done make sure you log out and shutdown. bill gates will never know you cheated on him, looool. just kidding.

before you burn it you should make sure you have the right version for your computer. i'm guessing that you need the "i386" version. is the name ubuntu-6.06-desktop-i386 dot iso?

Version 4.x/5.x/6.x
Website Not available anymore
Steps to burn an ISO-image - Method 1

1. Launch Easy CD Creator
2. Choose File, NEW DATA CD, Create CD from CD Image... and you'll be presented with a dialog box.
3. Click on the "Files of type:" dropdown box and select "ISO Image Files (*.ISO)"
4. Select the .ISO file you downloaded then press Open.
5. At the CD Creation Setup dialog box, make sure the Write Method is set to Disc-At-Once and Close CD.
6. Select the desired write speed and create options, if necessary, then press OK to begin recording.

Note: In EZCD Creator you must change the drop down to reflect *.ISO rather than the default to see the file.
Steps to burn an ISO-image - Method 2

1. Navigate in Explorer to the .ISO file you have downloaded, and double click on it.
2. Choose the write speed you want to use.
3. You will have three Create options:

Test
Test & Create CD
Create CD
You can use Create CD or Test and Create CD
4. At the CD Creation Setup dialog box, make sure the Write Method is set to Disc-At-Once and Close CD
5. Select the desired write speed and create options, if necessary, then press OK to begin recording.

Roxio Easy Media Creator

Version 7.x
Website www.roxio.com
Steps to burn an ISO-image

1. Launch Creator Classic
2. Choose "File"
3. Choose "Burn from Disc Image file"
4. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn
5. Choose now for "Burn"

Edited by cybormoron, 24 June 2006 - 10:21 PM.

I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#4 blugold

blugold

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:49 AM

I've tried several live cd's on 3 laptops and a new "lindows?" box. The best luck so far was ubuntu breazy
badger. Haven't tried the newest suggested above. By best luck I mean the LEAST problems. With ubuntu
those problems were mine. Fedora core 5 wouldn't allow a bigger screen size than 800x?? on my sotec 3123xs
while ubuntu allowed up to 1400x??.:-)

I now have ubuntu loaded on 2 laps and a desktop.

One caveat to all burns. Try burning less than full speed. Had that error message from ubuntu. Yep that
fixed it. :-)

Another if you want to run off the live cd is making sure you don't use an 'install' option. No matter how
innocent it may seem.

One final thought. Find an older (not too) unused machine to play with. One with internet capabilities.
Preferably broadband.

#5 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:08 PM

or you could also use a seperate hard drive to install and test linux.if there are live cds use them first till you get the hang of things,most dont have the capability to write to ntfs so your xp will be safe,unless you hit the install.a good windows iso burner is burncdcc by terabyte.

#6 Zoomer

Zoomer

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:00 PM

I have Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) dual-booting on my Toshiba Laptop. I also have it running stand-alone as a server and desktop on another machine. I loaded both without modification from the download CD's. I haven't used either a lot but so far no problems. Works fine on network, hardwired or wireless. Can't get it to handle my printer or scanner though.
The package said "Requires Windows 95 or better" but when I tried to install it on my Linux box - it failed.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,192 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:26 PM

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
The above link is to a site that will mail Ubuntu CDs free. Thought this might be of interest to anyone viewing this page. I would like to know if anyone has tried this as I am considering it myself.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 Zoomer

Zoomer

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 02:34 AM

I have tried the free CD's from Ubuntu. I have received the Breezy Badger, (5.10). It did take 5 to 6 weeks as they said. I had already downloaded and installed the system so these were just for giveaways and I didn't mind the wait. Nice packaging though. There were actually two CD's. One was the install and the other was a live CD.

I've also downloaded and installed 6.06, Dapper Drake. The live CD and the install are all one CD on that one. The download was both. I did another download to get the server version, (which is not live and has no GUI). I've already installed everything. I'm waiting for the CD's which I also ordered. I've promised copies to some people. The 5 to 6 weeks is about up. I expect them anyday now. I'll let you know what I get.

These people are a class act. I've downloaded a lot of distros but Ubuntu is by far the easiest to work with. I recommend it heartily to new Linux users. It makes Win XP seem difficult.

(I'm not a Linux expert by any means. I can slog my way through the command line when I have to but only for the most familiar commands. I make good use of the GUI and the automatic updates. I'm so bad that I even loaded a GUI interface on my server.)
The package said "Requires Windows 95 or better" but when I tried to install it on my Linux box - it failed.

#9 pop7897

pop7897

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:45 PM

how do make windows boot from cd?

#10 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:12 PM

you have to change it in your bios to boot from cd not hard drive first.reboot hit f8 or f2 to get to bios set up and you should see something like a booting order.on mine i just hit the tab button which brings up my bio settings and i just hit enter and the cd runs.to lazy i guess to change it lol.

#11 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:14 PM

oh another note shipit from ubuntu is not going to be sending free cds anymore.

#12 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:19 PM

Why not? I got 10 of them and won't be using any, so if anyone wants one I can send them...
www.thisisbeyondbelief.com

#13 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 05:32 AM

Unfortunately, in the world of Linux, there are some printers which may never be anything more than a paper-wieght...Unless you take it on yourself to write drivers for it...as I am doing with my Lexmark all in one. Lexmark finally released the architecture and code so you can do that. Most of the unsupported printers seem to be the combination jobbers.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#14 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 07:10 AM

Hi,

you could also try the vmware player or server which I believe is now free too.
http://www.vmware.com/products/player/ here are some preset virtual machines (aslo ubuntu): http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/cat/45 .

Cheers,

Yourhighness

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#15 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:46 PM

Unfortunately, in the world of Linux, there are some printers which may never be anything more than a paper-wieght...Unless you take it on yourself to write drivers for it...as I am doing with my Lexmark all in one. Lexmark finally released the architecture and code so you can do that. Most of the unsupported printers seem to be the combination jobbers.

hp printers are the easiest to set up in linux.lexmark is a hit n miss,mine doesnt work in linux.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users