Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

APU Gaming- is ECC beneficial? Why do GPUs use ECC?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:13 PM

As you know, the memory in normal dedicated cards is error correcting to some extant (mabey not exactly ECC, but you know what I mean).  The question is- does using ECC with a APU benifit it in any way?

On the same note. Why do GPUs use error correcting in the first place? Is it to help increase yield count and lifespan of the cards or is there some other reason?

This first question is also excluding cost and assuming that the ECC RAM in question is already 2133 (or 2400) to max out the APU speed.

Didin't know wether to put the topic here, in system building, or where ever.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:55 PM

The ECC vs Non ECC debate.. it sure has been a long road.

Without getting into the big marketing ' ploy ' can i call it a ploy ? between AMD and Intel and 'enthusiats' know about ECC and non ECC....

The short answer is ECC memory is inherently designed to 'correct' bit errors before being passed to the device.  If a bit error is 'passed' in a machine with ECC memory the memory can and will 'tell' the device .. Hey .. bit Error! i know it happend and there it is.

On a machine with no ECC you will most likely get a freeze or bsod.

So why use it on a GPU? a bit error on a gpu can cause ' catastrophic' failure including but not limited to BSOD and freeze.

If the 'program' or controller chip on the graphics card can catch this failure before it is sent to the OS/or display driver.  It can be corrected in software.  Where if the bit fails in non ecc you wont know til your BSO'd system fail.

I know that is like a reallllllly washed down version of the whole debate but heres a link you can talk more about it.  Not sure if there is one here or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users