Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2008 R2 DNS question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 doctore

doctore

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:33 PM

Basically, any client computer on my domain cannot connect to the network, unless I manually enter the IP of the domain controller in the adapter settings on the client computer. When I choose the clients to obtain DNS automatically - it's a no-go.

Is there a setting on the DNS role of the server that I need to change in order for clients to receive the DNS info automatically, or is it just the way DNS works with 2008 R2?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:08 PM

Hi,

Basically, any client computer on my domain cannot connect to the network, unless I manually enter the IP of the domain controller in the adapter settings on the client computer. When I choose the clients to obtain DNS automatically - it's a no-go.

Is there a setting on the DNS role of the server that I need to change in order for clients to receive the DNS info automatically, or is it just the way DNS works with 2008 R2?

Does the client gets the correct DNS server from the DHCP server with the settings set to auto (default)?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:14 PM

Or are you using your router for dhcp?  If so you need to configure it [the dhcp server] to give the correct server dns ip address [if you can].  Not all routers allow you to set the dns server and they will default to using the gateway ip for dns which doesn't work for AD.

#4 doctore

doctore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:30 PM

Hi,

Does the client gets the correct DNS server from the DHCP server with the settings set to auto (default)?

I don't know, how can I verify that?

When I have all client IPv4 settings set to "auto" and run ipconfig on the client - I get a good IP address (but nothing else, besides a subnet mask). I am also able to ping the server IP, but not the server FQDN, which made me think that the problem is DNS-related and when I set a static IP for the DNS (i.e the server IP) - the client conncts to the domain right away,

The network is connected with just a simple switch, btw.

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:14 AM

Post the results of a ipconfig /all for review from a workstation.  BTW this does not appear to be a dns issue but a dhcp issue. 

"I get a good IP address (but nothing else, besides a subnet mask"

Does that ip address start with a 169?  If so you are not getting a good ip address.  You are getting an Apipa one due to autoassign being enabled.  This would indicate the client wasn't able to contact the dhcp server.

#6 doctore

doctore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:29 PM

The IP address I get is good.

I have the server set at 192.168.10.80 (with DHCP address range of 81 to 99) and one client will show 192.168.10.81 and the other 192.168.10.82. So, for example, on one of the clients I would get

IPv4 Address: 192.168.10.81

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

I have IPv6 disabled, so nothing there.

At this point, I can ping 192.168.10.80 and all passes are good. But if I try to ping the server FQDN - nothing.

Also, the network on the client computers show as public "Unidentified Network".

^ This is when I put the clients' adapter settings for IPv4 to automatic DNS. If I use 192.168.10.80 as DNS - everything works fine and the clients connect to the network as they should.

#7 doctore

doctore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:45 PM

I found the probelm and you were right :) it was the server DHCP. For some reason, in the DHCP setting the DNS server address was 127.0.0.1 instead of 192.168.10.80

Thanks for all the help!

Edited by doctore, 30 January 2015 - 01:45 PM.

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:23 PM

You would also correct the no gateway being listed in the same place.  Glad you found it.  Best of luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users