Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bsod netio.sys+ 11b2d while using utorrent

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 sidzophernia

sidzophernia

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:54 PM

while utorrent is running, i experience random crashes which result in bsod ( driver_irql_not_less_or_equal ). I checked the crash dump in bluescreenview and it highlights two files namely netio.sys and ntoskrnl.exe. i have attached a screenshot of the same. Please advise

Attached Files

Edited by sidzophernia, 29 January 2015 - 03:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:33 PM

Hi sidzophernia :)

It would be nice if you could upload your minidump files so we can take a look at them.

Inxv2xa.pngBSOD Minidumps
Follow the instructions below to get and upload your BSOD minidumps so I can analyze them:
  • Create a new folder on your Desktop called dumps;
  • Go in your C:\windows\minidump folder, copy every files inside then paste them in your dumps folder;
  • Right-click on the dumps folder, select Send to then Compressed (zipped) folder;
  • Attach the compressed folder (archive) to your next reply and post it;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 sidzophernia

sidzophernia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:05 PM

hie... these are my dump files as requested.

Attached Files

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:34 PM

Alright, I need some additional information since I cannot pinpoint the specific driver that causes the BSOD.

OlT01aD.pngDxDiag Log
Follow the instructions below to create a dxdiag log and post it in your next reply.
  • Press on the Win Key + R keys to bring up the Run menu;
  • Enter dxdiag in the box and press on Enter;
  • If a message comes up asking you if you want to check if your drivers are digitally signed or not, click on Yes;
  • Once the dxdiag report window open, wait for it to load completely. The progress bar is in the bottom left corner;
  • Click on the Save All Information... button, then save the file on your Desktop as dxdiag.txt;
  • Open the text file, then copy/paste all the content in your next reply;
3Al62Pm.pngList Installed Programs
  • Download MiniToolBox and move it to your Desktop;
  • Execute it by double-clicking on it;
  • Check the "List Installed Programs" checkbox;
    dE2KOUZ.png
  • Click on the Go button;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open.
    wRKHMXW.png
  • Copy/paste (select the Notepad, press Ctrl + A then Ctrl + C to copy, and Ctrl + V to paste) the content of the output log in your next reply;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:15 PM

Or you can just uninstall uTorrent and be done with it. It's not the same product as it was years ago, the issue you are experiencing is fairly common. (as well as a mob of other issues)

Good alternatives are Qbittorent and Deluge. Both are lightweight and open source. No ads or BS.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:11 PM

Yeah some people still use older version of uTorrent before it started to have ads. Bittorent is good too no?

unite_blue.png

#7 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:25 PM

Those dmp files point to network issues.

Try uninstalling the network drivers via device manager and reboot.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:02 PM

Yeah some people still use older version of uTorrent before it started to have ads. Bittorent is good too no?

I thought so also, but when I last tried to load a version it turned out to be a minefield of junk and tickboxes. (last year sometime). Which is what lead me to qbitorrent.

Those dmp files point to network issues.

Try uninstalling the network drivers via device manager and reboot.

0x0d1.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff560244%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

A new version of the driver would do the same thing in all likelihood. The stack needs debugging... which I'm not about to do for utorrent.

#9 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:18 PM

Not sure what it all means.... If it is simply a corrupted driver (for whatever reason), a reinstall may wrap it up. If

Maybe I'm missing something?

If this is all the dmp files created (covering a period of a day and a half, maybe), System Restore could be an option as well as Last known good configuration.

If this has been going on for some time; well....

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:19 PM

Not sure what it all means.... If it is simply a corrupted driver (for whatever reason), a reinstall may wrap it up. If
Maybe I'm missing something?
If this is all the dmp files created (covering a period of a day and a half, maybe), System Restore could be an option as well as Last known good configuration.
If this has been going on for some time; well....

What is it's a bug with the current driver version? Reinstalling the driver won't change anything, but updating it to a newer version that fixed that bug will work.

unite_blue.png

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:34 PM

:whistle: We'll see what happens.

#12 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:22 PM

Another unknown: If the driver worked and suddenly stopped, is it the driver?

Seen a lot of this: Usually right after an update of the net driver or installation of net-affecting software (connectify, utorrent, various virtual software (VMs) etc.). Mostly updates.

Maybe rolling the driver back is an option...? lol

Just last night I was messing round with VBox and all of my net drivers became kaput. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers and VBox to no avail. Wasn't the drivers at all: It was some unknown compatibility issue created that was only resolved from a backup (image).

As stated: If this all the dmp found; it only covers hours. Something caused it. OP states it is uTorrent, perhaps. My be would be that this is not the first time uTorrent was run on target machine. All of a sudden?

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:42 PM

If we knew whether the machine was x86 or x64 we could hone our debugging skills and find out what the problem is exactly.

edit: though I'm little more than a novice user with WinDbg. On the list of stuff to learn.

Edited by TsVk!, 29 January 2015 - 09:44 PM.

#14 sidzophernia

sidzophernia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:24 AM

i should probably explain a bit more... the machine runs 64 bit windows, i-5 3210m, 4gb ddr3 ram. i have fully updated all my network drivers already. i also have quickheal antivirus pro installed. The machine is under warranty right now and the drivers or a combination of quickheal and utorrent has never bothered me. its only since this year this bsod has started popping up. You see only a few dumps because i have already tried a system restore.

i searched online a bit and got these recurring statements (but i dont fully understand all this) that something is interfering with the network cards functions causing the system to crash. in most cases its the antivirus (be it quickheal or mc afee or norton ) being in ring 0 and overriding utorrent (whatever that means). It also said that this is a kernel level problem and utorrent cant be the culprit since it doesnt install drivers but may be the catalyst fr the issue ( in these cases its always the antivirus). Please reply back if this helps to narrow down the problem and if still you require the dxdiag log and mini toolbox log as aura requested, ill be happy to provide those

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:28 AM

I'll still require the dxdiag and MiniToolBlox logs please. Also, where did you update the drivers from? Where did you download them?

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users