Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Demo Performance

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 setasdefault

setasdefault

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:34 AM

If I have a demo for a game that I downloaded and run off the hd, (like BF2), can I expect the same performance in the full retial version? Will it maybe be slower/faster? Just wondering, b/c I have demos that run really well, and my card is not very good. I can run BF2 demo on all high graphics, on my geforce 6200. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:24 AM

It really depends on the demo and whether or not aspects of the game are omitted from it. Unless the demo in question, for example, omits features that might impact graphics, and if you can run the demo with high graphics on, then the complete game will probably run well on your computer. Always check the game's minimum requirements; if your computer only just matches these, then you will have problems with the full version. You can also check the game's official forums; problems running the game with computers essential configured like yours will probably surface.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 setasdefault

setasdefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:05 AM

As far as I know, the demos use the same graphics but just give a time limit/map limit, thanks.

#4 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:33 PM

There could also be the instance of updates to the full game that aren't in the demo that could affect preformance.

#5 setasdefault

setasdefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:00 PM

ok ty

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:10 AM

The demo can be a pre-release version of the game and then there can possibly be bugs still left, or performance optimization that aren't in yet, so then you would get better performance from the full game, but this is not very common.

More likely it is the other way around and the final game will have worse performance. The demos sometimes ship with lower resolutions textures and sound to keep the size down, so the full game will run at a higher quality than the demo and so will be slower.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:36 PM

I had problems playing Doom 3 demo, then I got the full version and it was running better o the same card. It all depends on the developer. If they put support for certain cards during demos, etc. Retail is almost always better because they have support for most cards out at the time.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:40 PM

I usually find that demos give a potential customer an idea of the retail game's abilities. They're also a good way to tell if you can even run the game. But, they're just demos so it's likely to be a pre-release engine so if the demo is stable that doesn't automatically mean that the retail will be.

3939.png

#9 kaka_1982

kaka_1982

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:33 AM

i hate demos!

#10 jitterbox

jitterbox

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:01 PM

It depends on the demo, really.
Some demos run a lot slower than the full game, while others run a lot faster.
Usually though, if the demo runs well, the full game will too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users