Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows 8.1 wifi settings advice

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rp101

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:23 PM

I have just resolved some internet issuses with my ISP (TalkTalk - I will review their service in appropriate place later). Via Ethernet, I am now getting my 38/2 Mbps down-/up-load speeds as per package - my WiFi is awaful however, and I tend to use a powerline router with ethernet cable for my laptop, despite being only 4 m away from the router as the WiFi waves flow thro a floorboard & wall. In part, I suspect my laptop (a Samsung NP700Z5C-S03UK) - other users with eg Ipad & Lenovo get good wifi signal & speeds, an Asus however also struggles. Ok - I know WiFi signal strength & robustness is 90% art & only 10% science (physics). But I do wonder about the following: attached is a *.png showing the findings of Speccy re available WiFi where I am sitting.

1) belongs to my next door neighbour, & 2) is my current WiFi set up. 3) is the address (SSID) of our previous TT (TalkTalk) router used until a week ago, and 4) [I suspect] belongs to my TP-Link powerline extenders, even though I have "paired them" to the current router.

My question is this: are 3) & 4) interfering with my ability to get a good signal? I have used inSIDD to explore this a bit further, & I have manually reset channels, but with little impact - unless I receive evidence to the contrary, I believe the auto route is probably cleverer than I am in this instance ;-)

Partly as an aside - the TalkTalk branded routers are apparently Huawei HG635 - they receive mixed reviews (see eg http://www.trustedreviews.com/talktalk-super-router-review and http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/wifi-routers/388996/talktalk-super-router), with the first one explicitly mentioning rapid drop-off of WiFi with distance from router.

Any not too technical thoughts out there

Attached Files

• Attached File  wifi.PNG   72.65KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users