Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help After Installation

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 NBSChang

NBSChang

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:52 PM

Hi All, 

I need a bit of help after I installed Win 10 Tech Preview and uninstalled.  I can provide more details, but since I do not frequent here, I want to make sure I'm posting in the right section.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:46 PM

What are the issues?

Thanks

#3 NBSChang

NBSChang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:35 PM

Hi Bludgard,

Thanks for responding.  To begin with, my Dell laptop has both a mSATA SSD and a spindle HDD.  The HDD has Win7 installed originally from Dell.  On a whim, which I should have known better, I installed Win10 tech preview onto the SSD.  I originally wanted to move the Win7 to the SSD so now that I've gotten to play around with the Win10, I deleted the SSD partition with Gparted using a bootable USB.  Now, I'm getting a message on startup saying:

"Your PC?Device needs to be repaired.  A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.  Error code: 0xc000000e

You'll need to use recovery tools.  If you don't have any installation media (like a disk or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer."

Any thoughts?

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:00 AM

Sounds like you may have a RAW partition (or no partition at all) on SSD. Boot back to GParted and examine the disk. Format the disk's primary partition to NTFS. Don't forget to Apply all operations before exiting the interface and rebooting.

Edited by bludgard, 01 February 2015 - 12:01 AM.

#5 NBSChang

NBSChang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:59 PM

Hi bludgard,

Thanks for responding again, and sorry for the reply.  When you say "format the disk's pri. part.," are you talking about the SSD pri. part?

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:39 AM

Yes.
Create a partition on SSD and format it to NTFS. Use the quick format option. One should be able to install OS or....

#7 NBSChang

NBSChang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:02 PM

Ok I will try that.  I was hoping to migrate my existing Win7 install and Recovery partition on the spindle HDD to the SSD.

#8 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:43 PM

Which drive has the larger capacity?

...I was hoping to migrate my existing Win7 install and Recovery partition on the spindle HDD to the SSD.

#9 NBSChang

NBSChang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:41 AM

Ok I finally got to creating a partition on the SSD.  Still have the same error.  I am lead to believe that when I installed Win10, it did something to my Win7 boot procedure. Any other thoughts?

Thanks

#10 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:51 PM

What program is being used to clone the OS to SSD? If the Windows 7 drive capacity is larger than the SSD; there will be issues. Not to say it cannot be done. Just a bit of prep work.

Thanks

Edited by bludgard, 06 February 2015 - 03:54 PM.

#11 NBSChang

NBSChang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:49 PM

I hope to move my primary partition and the recovery partition to the SSD with is only half the size of my HDD.  I will try and use EaseUS Partition Master.  The problem is that after formatting the SSD, I still get the message on boot.  It looks like Win10 did something to my HDD Pri. Part.  Any thoughts?

#12 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:44 PM

So it is Windows 7 on the HDD that is not recognised and throwing the error?

Is there possibly install media (or at least a repair disk) for your version of Win 7 laying about?

#13 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:06 PM

Hi Bludgard,

Thanks for responding.  To begin with, my Dell laptop has both a mSATA SSD and a spindle HDD.  The HDD has Win7 installed originally from Dell.  On a whim, which I should have known better, I installed Win10 tech preview onto the SSD.  I originally wanted to move the Win7 to the SSD so now that I've gotten to play around with the Win10, I deleted the SSD partition with Gparted using a bootable USB.  Now, I'm getting a message on startup saying:

"Your PC?Device needs to be repaired.  A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.  Error code: 0xc000000e

You'll need to use recovery tools.  If you don't have any installation media (like a disk or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer."

Any thoughts?

Re-read what he is saying.  He setup a dual boot scenario then simply destroyed the Win 10 partition.  This is why his Win 7 OS is hosed.  

The easiest thing I can think of is to use the Recovery Mode in the Windows 7 setup CD to see if it can rebuild the bootloader.  This will allow you to boot from the HD.  Once this is fixed, then you can worry about cloning it to the SSD if you want to (pending space requirements 1st of course).  There are some advanced functions you will need to know about in order to properly install onto the SSD since you have a dual HD scenario (i.e. BIOS settings, HD removal).  Be sure to backup your data 1st!!!!

Anything else will have serious issues as you have 2 HD's involved.  The last thing you want to do is to install on the SSD with the HD attached since Windows will 1) detect the old win 7 OS and create a dual boot scenario 2)  Use the MBR  / bootloader on the HD and not the SSD 3) no longer load when you remove the old Win 7 / format the HD

Essential Tools for safe computing

https://sites.google.com/site/dinodod/pc-standards

Please leave a comment on anything relative and help me expand on it.

#14 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:09 PM

This will need to be moved the the Windows 7 forums.

Essential Tools for safe computing

https://sites.google.com/site/dinodod/pc-standards

Please leave a comment on anything relative and help me expand on it.

#15 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:42 PM

That's where I was heading. Possible fix on MBR: Off and running (best case ....).

Glad disconnecting all drives while doing so was mentioned. Forgot about that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users