Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This Free Driver Update Scan Legit?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 airaced57

airaced57

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:27 AM

I came across this offer through PC World for a free scan of my pc's drivers. The result indicates at least seven driver as "Bad" which I assume means outdated. When I attempted to update one of these drivers in Device Manager, it advises that a better match could not be found than my current driver.

From perusal of information available on the net re: Touchstone, it appears to be a legitimate corporation. My quesion is: Is this scan simply a sales promotion and if not,how much credence can I give this scan result?TYIA for your assistance. mchaggis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:56 AM

Hi airaced57
Do yourself a big favor and never use third party apps to obtain driver updates.
Always get them from your computer manufacturer or individual HW vendor directly.
This is especially critical with OEM systems as many times the drivers are specially modified.
The same goes for drivers from MS as well. Can't tell you how many times I've had to repair damage due to drivers provided by MS.
I suggest you read the driver agent FAQ's and put it behind you. :thumbsup:

#3 airaced57

airaced57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for the advice Hit Squad. Greatly appreciated. mchaggis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users