Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit compatibility? Help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jackz4000

jackz4000

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:51 AM

I have a Dell laptop with 32-bit Win 7 and next month I'm getting another with a 64-bit system. I've read I can't download Win 7 64-bit on my 32-bit unit on Digital River and have to use a 64-bit unit for that.

I'm not certain of compatibility with other things.

Like I just downloaded some photos on my 32-bit unit. I will want to have them on my 64-bit unit when I get it. Will that be a problem? Or Word document created on 32-bit. Can they be worked on with my 64-bit unit? Or will I need to download them again?

Is there a link that explains all this?

Dell D630 32-bit 7 Pro

Lenovo T500 64-bit 7 Pro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:55 AM

Hi jackz :)

There's no problem in simply downloading the Windows 7 64-bits .iso on your Windows 7 32-bits laptop. It's only a download. You can download anything, the version (bits) doesn't matter at all. You can also transfer photos and other files between your two Windows 7, the 32-bits and 64-bits one, once again, it makes no difference. The real difference is when it comes to installing program. On Windows 7 32-bits you can only install 32-bits programs, while on Windows 7 64-bits, you can install both 32 and 64-bits programs.

Here's the Microsoft FAQ on that subject for you :)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows#1TC=windows-7

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:43 PM

"I'm not certain of compatibility with other things"

--- We need to know what that means on your case

"Like I just downloaded some photos on my 32-bit unit. I will want to have them on my 64-bit unit when I get it"

--- I don't see why that cannot be done: maybe copying them from the 32-bit system and pasting them into the 64-bit system would suffice

--- But here's the caveat: what photo program are you using?

"Or Word document created on 32-bit. Can they be worked on with my 64-bit unit? Or will I need to download them again"

--- Since you mention Word, I'm thinking you mean Microsoft Word; so that means you will need Microsoft Word application on the 64-bit computer and you'll be good to go

Another thing you can do is network them which you probably already have in mind to do, share your photos and documents and then decide if you want to copy/paste them but the key is you need the correct applications on the 64-bit computer

--- Standard photo library shouldn't be an issue: but if you are using a dedicated photo application of your own, let us know

--- Same principle for your Word or Office Suite

#4 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:17 PM

Thank you Aura and Cmptrguy, Yes, I read yesterday not to DL Win 7 64-bit on a 32-bit unit to make an ISO image? Which got me to thinking...And thanks for the link. 

Just mainly photos and stock footage images in JPG to be manipulated in GIMP. Usually I'll DL photos to the 64-bit unit, but I have a dozen on my 32-bit unit I'd like to work on with the 64-bit unit. All photos will be manipulated on the 64-bit unit.

With Word, I might write something in 32-bit and put it in Dropbox. A day or 2 later I might access it on the 64-bit unit and write a little more. Not sure if going back and forth would cause conflicts at all.

Understand each unit needs 32 or 64-bit software, so I'll have those installed.

Thanks again. 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:20 PM

Just to clarify, you can run 32bit software on a 64bit Windows 7 OS but not 64bit software on a 32bit OS.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:22 PM

There's nothing to worry about jackz :) We are talking about documents and pictures here, common files. These won't be affected by the whole 32-bits and 64-bits architecture. So you can freely use them on any Windows and you can also download the Windows 7 64-bits ISO image on your Windows 7 32-bits and burn it on a DVD or make a USB bootable with it just fine as well.

Just to clarify, you can run 32bit software on a 64bit Windows 7 OS but not 64bit software on a 32bit OS.

Had it covered here :P

The real difference is when it comes to installing program. On Windows 7 32-bits you can only install 32-bits programs, while on Windows 7 64-bits, you can install both 32 and 64-bits programs.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:31 AM

Thanks so much. I feel better now.  :)  I thought I'd have a problem--when I don't. 

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:32 AM

You don't have any problem no worries! No problem, have a good day! :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users