Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

safe hard drive,motherboard and cpu temps for laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Allybee

Allybee

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:25 AM

hi,I just installed a new hard drive in my lappy yesterday after my old one started failing.

I purchased a re-certified seagate mini pipeline 250gb 5400rpm....I was advised against purchasing a recertified drive but decided to chance it.

I downloaded speccy to see my lappy temps last night after spending all day installing win 7 and have it on just now.

my laptop has only been on for an hour or so and my current hd temp is : 49c whereas last night after it was on for well over 4 hours it was 55c

what is considered a safe temp for a hd  and what is over the top?

currently my cpu is at 57c but I have seen it upto around 80c...again what is safe and too high?

my mobo is currently at 25c again what kind of temps should a mobo sit at?

my laptop is a dell latitude e5420 with i5 2520m.

Also how likely is my recertified hd likely to fail and how can I check to see if a hd is failing,how will I know?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:46 AM

Well.. I wouldnt buy re-certified anything either because you get no warranty.  I would not worry too much about your motherboard temps your system will ramp up the fan if it needs to cool things down further.  Unless  your having problems... don't worry about it.  Toohigh and the computer will shut down anyway to ' save itself '

Have a look here ... down the page it talks a little bit about temps with a current temp image here.  It seems a bit  high for a laptop but .. maybe not.

Honestly- running the tools just to ' check your hard drive ' puts a fair amount of stress on it so if it were about to fail you could send it over the edge.  If your not having problems ... again .. don't worry about it (you will know when you start having issues and those issues point to the hard drive). 

Use good computing practices and back up files you know you need to an external drive or thumbdrive (whatever holds your data)

#3 Allybee

Allybee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:51 PM

thanks mate,

advice much appreciated.

if it ain't broke don't fix it.

like you say if it's going to fail it will fail regardless but it's working fine so i'll see how it goes.

the main reason I asked about temps was I was wondering if re-applying thermal paste to a cpu could cut temps down?

the laptop is from 2011.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:12 PM

Re applying some arctic silver and cleaning the heatsink fan would be great but I wouldn't suggest doing that to anyone that isn't a system builder.  Can it be done? SUre will it help ? most likely.. Thermal paste (even stock thermal) is good for around 7 to 10 years.  And even though its probably stock its probably good for a few more years until you upgrade.

I just would never suggest that anyone go out and replace their thermal paste willy nilly just because they feel their temps are too hot.  Unless your having problems... heheheh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users