Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD Tune health results-Warning

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 beachfeet

beachfeet

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:26 AM

Hello everyone,

I ran a few tests with HD Tune on a drive of mine. It did not report any damaged blocks, but there were a couple of yellow warnings under the health tab. I am having some difficulty understanding what these warnings mean. Can someone please help me out? I have attached a screen shot below. Thank you very much.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:40 AM

Those warnings are your SMART attributes - they can mean that your HDD is failing.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:11 AM

If the Pending Sector count rises rapidly then the drive is failing. Keep a close eye on the Pending Sector Count. Backup your important files on the drive if you have not already. I would RMA the drive if it is under warranty.

Current Pending Sector Count

Count of "unstable" sectors (waiting to be remapped, because of unrecoverable read errors). If an unstable sector is subsequently read successfully, the sector is remapped and this value is decreased. Read errors on a sector will not remap the sector immediately (since the correct value cannot be read and so the value to remap is not known, and also it might become readable later); instead, the drive firmware remembers that the sector needs to be remapped, and will remap it the next time it's written.[36] However some drives will not immediately remap such sectors when written; instead the drive will first attempt to write to the problem sector and if the write operation is successful then the sector will be marked good (in this case, the "Reallocation Event Count" (0xC4) will not be increased). This is a serious shortcoming, for if such a drive contains marginal sectors that consistently fail only after some time has passed following a successful write operation, then the drive will never remap these problem sectors.

#4 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:12 AM

Thank you for the reply. I contacted Seagate, and the drive is no longer under warranty. I was told that I should try erasing the drive with Seatools for DOS. It took a few hours, but now, one of the warnings is no longer present. Is the one warning that is there a threat in any way? The drive is still not reporting any bad blocks, and if there was a way to save it, I would like to try and do so. Thank you again, and have a great day.

Attached Files

Edited by beachfeet, 31 January 2015 - 08:17 AM.

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:14 AM

It's still the Reallocated Sector Count - you can use the drive, but as John suggests you should backup all data in case the HDD decides to fail.

#6 Rrocha

Rrocha

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:25 AM

Dont worry, your HD is fine.
You just have 2 reallocated Sectors. By default you Hd have more or less 50 a 100 extra trails for you perform a reallocated operation. 2 is nothing. I did spend a time im my job study this topic, and almost in every HD with more than 100 hours of power on, there are or pending 2 or 2 reallocated sectors.
The pending is the ''ugly'' thing because you have a low chance to write a critical file in it, and ban, blue screen or corrupted file.
Just keep a look in it for the next two weeks, to evaluate if you HD is somehow is losing power randomly, spinning irregularly or something like that.
But, do a back up. You never know :P

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:43 AM

What Seatools for Dos does in the long test is correct bad sectors if you select that option. You will notice that your Current Pending Sector count which was about 40 is now zero. And your Reallocated Sector Count is the same. This could mean that Seatools either corrected the bad sectors or marked them bad setting the counter back to zero. If you keep the drive, keep a close eye on your Pending Sector Count. If that starts increasing again, get a new drive. Backup any important data on your drive which should be done even if the drive is good. Always keep you most important data in two locations. Your data that you could not do without should be in three locations with one offsite. You can use Cloud Storage for that. If the data is personal you can encrypt it first.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:24 AM

Guys, could a higher than normal HD operating temperature also cause the above?  I use Acronis Drive Monitor to "watch" my HD temp.  I know HD Tune does a very good job of monitoring HDs; used in the past on earlier Windows!

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users