Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU cooler

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JohnWeber

JohnWeber

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:40 AM

Greetings!

I am John and this is my first post here. So ill get to point. I just bought a new cooling unit for my CPU because i had some overheating problems with my stock unit.

Forgot to buy a thermal grease though and nearest shop is 20km away. So, i have this little bag of "heatsink compounds" that came with it and i think it is a thermal grease. But i better be safe than sorry so i decided to ask to be sure.

Is it a thermal grease?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:00 AM

hello and Welcome to BleepingComputer!!!

Yes, that is a small pack of the compound to use as an interface material between the cpu surface and your heatsink and fan (HSF). its function is to fill potential air pockets between those surfaces .

opinions vary, but the OEM supplied compound like that is not the best, but good enough.

arctic silver is the stuff that most veteran users trust..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

is this your first time installing a HSF?

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:10 AM

Remember to clean off all of the old thermal compound before you put on the new thermal compound.  You also only want a thin layer.

#4 JohnWeber

JohnWeber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:19 AM

Yep, thanks for info, guys. I already done this before, just i have never seen it packaged like this.

Time to change cooler. :)

EDIT: Installed it and now everything is running smoothly. Thanks for assistance.

Edited by JohnWeber, 29 January 2015 - 08:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users