Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unstable CPU Fan, Please Help.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kevdit

kevdit

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:08 AM

Hello,

I've been having this problem with my CPU fan ever since I've build my computer and I can't seem to figure out what's wrong.

I'm using an after market cpu cooler and pwm fan (hyper evo 212).  The CPU fan will start stable but overtime in a matter of maybe half a day to a day just ramp up all the way to max rpm.  Sometimes, it will ramp up to max rpm, then die.  Sometimes, the cpu fan will just die and not turn back on.  

I've checked the bios and this happens regardless of what Smart fan mode its on (quiet/aggresive).  

I've replaced the CPU fan with another pwm fan and still have the same problem. 

I've replaced the CPU.

I've even replaced the motherboard with an identical one with the same problem. 

I've tried using programs like speedfan to see if it'll work, but same problem. 

When using HW monitor to monitor rpm / temperature, the cpu fan would actually disappear from HW monitor and then it would ramp up to full rpm.  

The only thing I haven't replaced is the PSU but I dont know if this is the problem.  The computer works fine its just that problem with the erratic cpu fan.    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AMD FX 6300

Hyper Evo 212

RipJaws 4gb 2x

Biostar Ta970 motherboard

R9 280 GPU

Corsair CX 500 W PSU

Edited by kevdit, 29 January 2015 - 05:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:56 PM

I only had this happen to me once and I finally figured out that I had not installed all of the motherboard drivers that came with the board; once I reinstalled them and made sure that nothing was missed the CPU heatsink fan quieted right down. This was a liquid cooled unit from ECO, I don't know if that applies to all brands of fans.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 kevdit

kevdit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:34 PM

I only had this happen to me once and I finally figured out that I had not installed all of the motherboard drivers that came with the board; once I reinstalled them and made sure that nothing was missed the CPU heatsink fan quieted right down. This was a liquid cooled unit from ECO, I don't know if that applies to all brands of fans.

Thanks for the reply,

I ran the software that came with the motherboard and it says the only drivers I'm missing are: Raidxpert Driver, Realtek Network Chip  Driver, and Realtek HD Audio Driver, non which have to do with the cpu or cpu fan.   Should i install these anyways?  

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:53 PM

I'm just guessing here, but those would not seem to affect your problem. Other than testing your power supply, I can't see any other possibility. Sorry.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users