to BleepingComputer's Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum
My name is Oh My!
and I am here to help you! Now that we are "friends" please call me Gary.
If you would allow me to call you by your first name I would prefer to do that.
- First, I would like to inform you that most of us here at Bleeping Computer offer our expert assistance out of the goodness of our hearts. Please try to match our commitment to you with your patience toward us. If this was easy we would never have met.
- Please do not run any tools or take any steps other than those I will provide for you while we work on your computer together. I need to be certain about the state of your computer in order to provide appropriate and effective steps for you to take. Most often "well intentioned" (and usually panic driven!) independent efforts can make things much worse for both of us. If at any point you would prefer to take your own steps please let me know, I will not be offended. I would be happy to focus on the many others who are waiting in line for assistance.
- Please perform all steps in the order they are listed in each set of instructions. Some steps may be a bit complicated. If things are not clear, be sure to stop and let me know. We need to work on this together with confidence.
- Please copy and paste all logs into your post unless directed otherwise. Please do not re-run any programs I suggest. If you encounter problems simply stop and tell me.
- When you post your reply, use the button instead.
- In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see the button. Click on this then choose Immediate E-Mail notification and then Proceed and you will be sent an email once I have posted a response.
- If you do not reply to your topic after 5 days we assume it has been abandoned and I will close it.
- When your computer is clean I will alert you of such. I will also provide for you detailed information about how you can combat future infections.
- I would like to remind you to make no further changes to your computer unless I direct you to do so.
- Now let's get started
Now that I am assisting you, you can expect that I will be very responsive to your situation. If you are able, I would request you check this thread at least once per day so that we can try to resolve your issues effectively and efficiently. If you are going to be delayed please be considerate and post that information so that I know you are still with me. Unfortunately, there are many people waiting to be assisted and not enough of us at BleepingComputer to go around. I appreciate your understanding and diligence.
Thank you for your patience thus far. Please run the following for me.
===================================================Run Combofix in Vista/7
is a very powerful tool and special attention must be taken to allow it to work properly. Please pay careful attention to the following instructions
- Please download ComboFix from one of these locations:
- Save Combofix.exe to your Desktop <-- Important!!!
- Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. (Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive.)
- Double click on Combofix.exe and follow the prompts. It is important you do not mouseclick while the program is running or it may stall.
: Often times it may appear as if ComboFix has stopped working. To verify it is still running please do one of the following below. If, based on the below, you have concluded ComboFix has stopped running please stop and advise me.
- Check your computer clock. If it is still running then so is ComboFix
- Open Task Manager and select the Applications Tab. If the status of AutoScan is Running, then ComboFix is running
- Open Task Manager and select the Processes Tab. Under Image Name look for files ending in .3xe. If there are fluctuating numbers under CPU and Mem Usage then ComboFix is running
: If you receive the following error "Illegal operation attempted on a registery key that has been marked for deletion
" please just restart your computer to resolve this issueIf Combofix fails to run properly using the above instructions please attempt the following:
- Right click on the Combofix icon on your desktop and select Delete
- Download a new copy but rename it to freshcopy.exe first, then save it to your desktop
- Now download RKill.exe (or RKill renamed as iExplore.exe if the first one doesn't work properly) and save it to your desktop
- Restart your computer in Safe Mode
- Right click on RKill (or iExplore) and select Run as Administrator. If you are using Windows XP simply double click the icon
- A black DOS screen should flash and disappear. If not, try to launch the program with the second file. If neither works please stop and let me know
- When RKill is finished running you will be presented with a text file and a copy will be saved on your desktop. Copy and paste the contents of this report in your reply
- Do not reboot your computer
- Double click the freshcopy.exe icon (renamed Combofix file)
- When finished, it will produce a log. Please copy and paste the C:\Combofix.txt log information in your next reply
- If you disabled your antivirus please enable it again. If you uninstalled it please wait for instructions to reinstall it
Things I would like to see in your next reply. Please be sure to copy and paste
any requested log information unless you are asked to attach it.